Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Surgery Over...Recovery Begins

"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ."
II Corinthians 10:5
Laying in bed last night (without the man of my dreams, best friend and husband of 26 years, but  with Sarah by my side) I let my mind wander.  I know that many, many family and friends stay connected with "our story" through this blog and I don't always know what to say.
Last March Tom, along with his family and friends, were caught up in a storm. Tom and I were on the beach, in the prime of our life when the storm hit. Tom received the worst of the injuries in the "tidal wave" of this life storm. We were together, anyway, floating out at sea being tossed and turned, spitting and spewing the salty water that blurred our vision. God provided the life preservers we needed and He held us through the storm. We know He was holding us even before the storm hit. Battered and worn He allowed us to land back on the sandy beach. It was a season of rainy, cold spring weather, but the sun began to shine again and we were enjoying walks on the beach and taking in the beauty of His creation. We took extra special care to notice the small signs of God along our walks and our conversations were filled with His presence. However, seven months (almost to the day) God allowed yet another storm to draw us to Him. We are currently bobbing up and down in the angry sea waiting patiently to hear Him say, "Peace, be still..."

25 And they came to Him and woke Him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing!” 26 He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm.
Matthew 8:25-26

As we bob in the sea and the waves crash over us, we cling to our Life Preserver. Through the noise of the sea, water in our ears and the storm's clouds thundering it is so hard to hear His voice. We know His word is true and He is good...all the time...yet I am terrified of the creatures in this water and I don't let Tom know of my fear, I just continually call out to our God in prayer knowing He hears me even when I can't hear Him. Calm seas are nice, but when God allows the turbulent storms to come we can trust Him to know He will provide for us a beautiful rainbow.   
Tom went into surgery yesterday around 12:50 p.m.  It was so special to have Pastor Terry Anglea along with Pastor Tim Waggoner join us to pray prior to the surgery.  After they left Dr. Zerick came in to explain what he would be doing and Tom asked if he could pray for him...he said "yes", so Tom prayed beautifully!  We trust the Lord will use us in this man's life.  It was about an hour and a half surgery and we were called to room B for our post-op meeting with Dr. Zerick.  This room B is the same room we meet in back in March and I was hesitant to go back in with the memories of horror from the last meeting.  I'm beginning to believe "B" stands for "bomb".  Get prepared because the bomb is going to drop.  If I had a bomb I think I would go put it in room B!!  Anyway, the words we wanted to hear didn't happen.  Everything the surgeon and oncologist told us earlier in the week were right.  We held out hope, trusting God to bring about a different word.  Now we hold out that same hope, trusting the same God to carry us through these next difficult days...one at a time.  God has certainly carried us before and He certainly must like us because it seems He enjoys us clinging to Him!  The cancer had grown back with somewhat of a vengeance.  Dr. Zerick removed what he could and then placed
carmustine (chemotherapy) wafers, 8 total, right into Tom's brain at the surgery sight.  Tom had no complications through the surgery and Dr. Zerick said Tom's brain was "very relaxed".  I guess your brain can become "very relaxed" after waiting 10 days on steroids for surgery!  (that was a joke)
After being in post-op for quite some time and somewhat agitated the post-op nurse called for me to come sit with Tom.  Zac and Sarah accompanied me back to post-op, however they would only allow me to stay with Tom for an extended period of time.  Tom kept saying "Matt?" wondering if he had arrived yet.  Once Matt arrived Tom slept peacefully.  I just held his hand and let him feel my presence.  The nurse believes I was just the "medicine" he needed.  Her name is Carla and I'll never forget her sweet spirit and her offering prayer on our behalf.  She wanted me to know that Tom could not move his right side of his body.  Prayer request:  Still today, Tom is not moving his right side...a little leg movement is giving us hope.  The nurse described it as a "dam" that has been built in his brain that tells his right side what to do and he needs to "push water" around the dam to bring back the mobility he has lost.  Physical Therapy just met with Tom and had him sit on the edge of the bed.  He was very wobbly, but very eager to "push through" with an advancement.
I was very grateful to my sister-in-love, Cheryl, for once again spending the night with Tom in his room.  This brought me much peace knowing I could call or text at any time to get a report on his condition.  Cheryl is the "bomb"!
We are blessed to have so many family and friends here at the hospital supporting us.  Their presence, prayers and love are beyond our words of thanks.  Our son-in-love, Zac's mom, Elaine Hess brought a red and gold prayer chain with many prayers and encouragement from many of you!  I took a picture...but, forgot the cord to download them to my computer.  I will post it tomorrow.  Thank you too Elaine for the basket of snacks and your hug!
Waiting on the rainbow...
"As the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking."
Ezekiel 1:28

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Lisa, we are praying for all of you. I am thankful for your updates, although I know it is hard for you to say/type some of the things you say. You are a testimony of God's ability to carry His own through more than we think we can take. We continue to pray....

Holly said...

'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today ... the LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still (Exodus 14:13-14, NIV)


Continuing to pray, dear friends. Praying you will see the Lord's hand in a very real way today.

claudia said...

rest, dear lisa, under the shadow of his wing. sending hugs.

Rochelle said...

Lisa ~ Tom, you and family are in the thoughts and prayers of so many (including my Mom, Bob and me). Your Homefront News is so inspiring and such a beautiful testimony of your love for each other and our Lord. God bless you.

Rochelle Hutzell