Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Saturday, October 29, 2011

No Place Like Home

Fifteen days in the hospital was more than enough!  So thankful for a sunny, mild day to bring Tom home.  It was such a great sight to pull into the driveway and see Zac and Sarah raking leaves.  We welcomed Kay Scott, family friend and physical therapist, who helped us transition to home life.  I am so pleased that the car transfer went so smoothly.  I can't say that we will be making many trips, but when we do it seems like it won't be too bad.  Hopefully with each day, we will become more and more comfortable with our "new normal".
On Thursday Tom's temporary rental wheelchair was delivered.  It is a step above the one he had been using.  We look forward to getting the special order chair in a couple of weeks that will be a "Cadillac" compared to this one.
Also on Thursday I was "trained" in giving Tom his Lovenox shots.  These shots are given in Tom's belly and are to prevent blood clots in his legs.  I had no idea I would receive an honorary bachelor degree in nursing!  I think I have learned more in the last two weeks than in the last 20 years!  Not only have I earned a nursing degree, but also feel certified in speech, occupational and physical therapy!
Tom's night nurse on Thursday came in on Friday morning before she left to say good-bye since she wouldn't be back before Tom went home.  It was so encouraging to have her give us a hug and let us know how much she enjoyed caring for Tom and I think I saw some tears in her eyes!  We are so blessed by the love and care Tom received from all of the staff on the Acute Rehab floor.  We especially enjoyed getting to know Tracy (speech), Katie (physical) and Jennie (occupational) therapists who are using their gifts from God to help people. 
On Friday the therapy team planned special Fall Festivities for the rehab patients.  It was so fun to watch Tom play the games and win one of the competitions!  The highlight of the day was having the children from the daycare center at the hospital come through the rehab unit dressed in their costumes and each of the patients handed out candy to them.  Tom's face lit up as the kids came by and he was able to give them a treat.  Once again I forgot to take pictures.
Friday much of the last minute details of the house remodel were completed along with a crew of friends and family who came to clean!  I was greeted Friday night with the fresh smell of clean...love it.
The hospital bed, along with several other specialty equipment needs, was delivered and set up prior to our arriving home.  Once set up the delivery man then realized the motor on the bed was not working!  He had to go back to the warehouse and come back to put a new part on the bed.  It now works beautifully and will make Tom's home life much easier.  My sister has been the "gopher girl" going and shopping for the many needs we had.  Some of the items she was able to get:  extra long twin sheets, extra long mattress pad, waffle crate for the bed, extra long shower curtain, shower rings, towels, and I'm sure many things I have forgotten.  Not only did she shop, but she then prepared dinner for all eleven of us who were here to share dinner with Tom.
It is a little overwhelming sorting through the medications and remembering when Tom is to take them.  I am so thankful to all the family who are here to help me with the transition.  My sister-in-love, Cheryl, will be here for the week getting us into a routine and helping with the nurse's role.  She is incredibly organized and she will also help with the organization of our home.  I still have not changed out my closet from summer to winter clothing and I look forward to getting that done.  My brother, Mike and brother-in-love, Terry, were able to get a bed set up for me so I can be with Tom.  They also made a run to the grocery store and Home Depot to pick up some last minute items.  We all are feeling like we could jump into the "communal living" idea!  We just plain enjoy being together!!
Last night the nurse said Tom was up five times.  He had two bowls of cereal and a yogurt at three in the morning because he was hungry and couldn't sleep.  I told him starting tonight he will be on a new schedule...no night nurse to bring him whatever he wants!  He has had such a hard time sleeping at night, we are praying that now he's home that that will change.  I told my mom that I feel like I've brought a newborn home from the hospital and I need to get his days and nights back on track.  The nurse told me not to let him sleep this afternoon and that would help him sleep better tonight.  I sure felt badly when I woke him up when he feel asleep in his chair.  You should see "his chair"...it is a throne!  We took bed risers and put under it to raise it to a better level for him to get in and out of.
The home health nurse will come on Sunday to see how we are doing and then therapy will start on Monday.  There is no rest for the weary, but we are so thankful to be at home and receiving loving care here.
We pray that you will be refreshed in God's presence as you worship Him on the Lord's day tomorrow.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God."
Romans 5:1-2

3 comments:

Debbie Richardson said...

Dear Tom & Lisa...

so glad you are home!

I have been keeping tabs on your progress via your blog ever since Rick Burby alerted a few of us on FaceBook earlier this year.

I have added you to my mom's prayer list at her church in Orlando, and she is some prayer warrior, let me tell you! We also lifted you up in prayer during my choir rehearsal at my church, First Baptist Ft Lauderdale.

I know it's been a very long time, but I have never ever forgotten all the great times we had during my Senior year at Bryan.. all the games, the cheers, the ups, the downs, the practices, all the LAUNDRY I did, the sweeping of the floors.. the wins! the roadtrips and especially the great Cheeseburgers, fries and milkshakes the Argos made for us after the Home Games!! yeah!!

To find you fighting this kind of battle defies all logic.. but fight you will.. it's a path that God allows some of us to walk and none of us would choose, but walk it by faith you do... I am so proud of the way you fight, and share Christ with all you encounter. And the wonderful woman you have by yourside, as she ministers to you and all she meets. God Bless You, Lisa, for loving Tommy through all of his pain and struggles...

May the Lord give you all you need and more than you need as you fight through the days and weeks ahead. May He give you grace to face each day so that each person you encounter sees the face of our Jesus in your eyes.

You are being lifted up in prayer, may you feel your angels around you when you think you can't go on.

across the miles..

Debbie Richardson
Bryan College
Class of '83
BasketBall Lions

Debbie Richardson said...

p.s. My family lives in Orlando, so if this is where your parents live, Tom.. I am one American airlines flight away.. a free bennie of my job; and mom is there as well as my brother and all my friends.. you & Lisa just need to email me for my phone # at "FlyAAStew@aol.com

... Debbie

Holly said...

SO very glad you are home!!! :) Continuing to pray for sleep, rest and good transitions! We love you both.