Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Marriage

 October at the Anglea's
God has blessed Tom and I with this week before surgery to pray, plan and prepare.  ALOT of my time is being devoted to caring for Tom, contemplating over and through God's Word and creating marriage memories.  Last night we made a fire in the fire pit and enjoyed pizza pies cooked over the fire...fun and yummy.  Terry and Kelly (my sister) came over around 8:00 p.m. to watch the Buckeyes.  Kelly and I stayed by the fire and enjoyed s'mores, while the guys tried to enjoy the bumbling Buckeyes!  We certainly enjoy our time with them.  I was going to take a picture, but my camera battery was dead.
I came across this quote from Ann Voskamp's blog, "A Holy Experience" (I've posted the blog site at right - I highly recommend adding it to your daily reads):

Tom and I have had 26 years of wedded bliss and as much as I hold our marriage at the top of my priorities, it will never come close to the marriage I have with my Savior.  It is during times of trial that this marriage of Spirit is more important than ever.  When Tom can't communicate with me, God's Spirit is constantly communing with me.

Finding God by Charles Haddon Spurgeon
“O that I knew where I might find Him!”
–Job 23:3
In Job’s uttermost extremity he cried after the Lord. The longing desire of an afflicted child of God is once more to see his Father’s face. His first prayer is not “O that I might be healed of the disease which now festers in every part of my body!” nor even “O that I might see my children restored from the jaws of the grave, and my property once more brought from the hand of the spoiler!” but the first and uppermost cry is, “O that I knew where I might find HIM, who is my God! that I might come even to His seat!” God’s children run home when the storm comes on. It is the heaven-born instinct of a gracious soul to seek shelter from all ills beneath the wings of Jehovah. “He that hath made his refuge God,” might serve as the title of a true believer. A hypocrite, when afflicted by God, resents the infliction, and, like a slave, would run from the Master who has scourged him; but not so the true heir of heaven, he kisses the hand which smote him, and seeks shelter from the rod in the bosom of the God who frowned upon him.

When Tom is sleeping more than normal, I remember God never sleeps, He's there with me.
"He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber."
Psalm 121:3
On Saturday we rejoiced that Tom woke with more words added to his speech, more understanding, the ability to write and he's reading too!  The steroids are working, but more importantly we are learning to rely more on God.  Tom felt energetic and helped me trim some bushes out in the sunshine.
We spent time going through paperwork...insurance, bills, and items I need to be able to address in the event of an emergency.  This is definitely not how I would like to spend a beautiful Saturday, but I knew it was important to Tom.  I'm slowly learning things I never thought I'd have to and thankful he could walk me through it, unlike back in March.  I took notes and hopefully will never need them.
"The bird also has found a house,
And the swallow a nest for herself,
Where she may lay her young,
Even Thine alters, O Lord of Hosts,
My King and my God."
Psalm 84:3
"O Lord, our Lord,
How majestic is Thy name in all the earth,
Who hast displayed Thy splendor above the heavens!"
Psalm 8:1
"Thy lovingkindness, O Lord,
extends to the heavens,
Thy faithfulness reaches to the skies."
Psalm 36:5
"Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness."
Psalm 37:3
"For He will give His angels charge concerning you,
To guard you in all your ways."
Psalm 91:11
"Those who love Thy law have great peace,
And nothing causes them to stumble."
Psalm 119:165
"Thy word is a lamp to my feet,
And a light to my path."
Psalm 119:105
Praising the Lord for comfort through His word and through His people.  We look forward to Tom's parents flying in on Wednesday.  My parents coming on Thursday.  Zac and Sarah will also be here on Thursday.  My sister-in-love, Cheryl, will be down on Friday.  These are just the "out-of-town" people...many more here locally who have been and will continue to support us on the home front.  We are surrounded by a "great cloud" of family and friends who are lifting us up in prayer.  Thank you...our hearts are full.
Tom and I are so thankful that you don't have to be in a church building to worship.  We didn't go to church today, we had church here on the patio.  Our times in God's word and praying together are much sweeter now.
Zac and Sarah, along with their friend Beth, stopped by tonight for dinner as they passed back through.  What joy it was sharing a meal, laughter and fellowship together. 



4 comments:

epschoon said...

Lisa- Your blog has turned into a devotional for me and the theme running throughout your posts which has touched me the most is thankfulness. I can't tell you how much it has blessed me to see your thankful heart. You always find something to be thankful for even if it is the smallest thing. I am glad the steroids are helping Tom.

Barb said...

Lisa, how beautifully expressed. Our love and prayers to you and Tom.

GBriggs said...

Lisa, your writings always touch my heart. You have no idea how often you are on our hearts. We pray for you and Tom as if you were our best friends, and you really don't even know us! My Dad was the pastor at Tom's church when he was young and his parents are still very dear to us. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your journey. We are trusting God with you!

JaneP said...

Hi Lisa. It's Jane Peterson. Do you remember the people that bought their first wonderful house from you on Westview Ave?? =) --we loved that house! My aunt Carol Maxwell has been keeping me updated on Tom's health. She pointed me to your blog this past spring, and I've enjoyed keeping up and hearing updates on you and your family. Can't believe your kids are so grown up! I guess it has been a while since our Westview days. =) Please know that I pray for you both, and just spent some time praying even tonight. Just passing along some more prayers from me and Jeff!