Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rain, Rest & Rehab

The "three R's" of the day...rain, rest and rehab.  Tom is back in "school" as the student learning many new things.  He is a model student giving 110% with great patience, persistence and prayer.  Hard work has always been a part of his "chemistry" and this is what will make for great progress in this steep climb.  We are so grateful for the compassionate and loving care of the therapists here in the Acute Rehab Unit.  As I drive home at night from the hospital in the rain and awake to rain pitter pattering on the window I'm reminded of God's presence because He is the Maker of the rain.  Listen to this song and get a fresh perspective of rain:
Last night Cheryl had the idea to order Tom a World Series snack...Jet's Pizza! Tom's parents agreed and the three of them made it happen.  The steroids Tom are on have given him an enormous appetite.  I believe yesterday he had two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners and 3 pieces of pizza!  He is being weaned off the steroid and hopefully this will also curb his appetite.
Enjoying the ballgame & pizza too!
Tom's new 'temporary' address
Most of you would know what a "hat trick" is...but do you know what a "pillow trick" is?  Before I go to bed at night I take all the decorative pillows on our bed (which usually go on the floor) and place them neatly on Tom's side of the bed.  I have awakened several times in the night seeing the pillow forms thinking I had a dream and Tom was right beside me.  I reach out, touch the pillows and realize the snoring sound I heard was unfortunately coming from the dog.  Rats...I don't like tricks...pillow tricks and a snoring dog!
While I'm on a kick...something else I don't like...seeing the arithmetic mistake on my husbands stat board!  This is my brother Mike pointing out the error.  Tom being the "math guy" that he is, we decided not to point it out to him!  I do believe he would have checked himself out of the hospital.
My sister-in-love, Cheryl, went back to Akron today.  She will be back in Columbus on Sunday with my brother...boy, will we miss her.  Tonight the grandparents are traveling together up to Mt. Vernon to watch Matt play basketball in the MVNU Blue vs. Green scrimmage.  Tom and I are so thankful they can go and support Matt when we can't be there.  It is a hard thought to grasp that we can't go and certainly pray that Tom will get to other games.

1 comment:

Barb said...

What a beautiful song, Lisa. It is evident to all around you that you and Tom truly do "know the Master of the Wind". Much love and many prayers to you all.