Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Precious Help (from Chicago) to the Rescue

Thank You...Terry & Joyce!
We received a call from Tom's brother, Terry and his wife, Joyce, on Monday night saying they were on their way to Columbus from Bourbonnais, IL!  What a treat and a surprise.  Terry and Joyce wanted to come and help us do some things around the house to get ready for Pops & Granny's (Tom's parents) visit and our hospital stay.  They arrived Tuesday around 10:30 a.m. with bells on their feet and joy in their hearts.  What a blessing they are.  I jumped in the car when they arrived so I could go to the grocery store to restock the pantry and fridge while they started to work.  Terry began raking leaves, then mowed and fertilized the lawn while Joyce started cleaning the house!  We enjoyed a simple lunch with great fellowship around the table.  While we were eating lunch we received a phone call from Tim, Terry and Tom's brother, who is still in Brussels, Belgium recovery from his appendectomy.  What a great "speaker phone" conversation we had with him!  He flies back to the states today.  We all then got back to work.  We did take a break to take in the beautiful weather outside for awhile.  Terry followed me to the car dealership so we could get an estimate on Matt's van that's not working properly.  This has been a concern of Tom's and now I think it will bring him relief knowing that we're getting it fixed (hopefully).  After Tom napped we encouraged them to stay for some turkey burgers on the grill.  We are so thankful for their love and support in such a practical way...serving.  They are true servants of the Lord and we are blessed beyond measure to be a part of the same family.
"A joyful heart is good medicine."  Proverbs 17:22
And a clean home too!
Monday afternoon we met with Tom's oncologist.  To say the least it was a bleak and bleary appointment.  We were pretty discouraged after meeting with him.  What do you do when you're down in the dumps?  Well...we went to Dairy Queen and celebrated with a Snicker Blizzard for Tom and a Peanut Buster Parfait for me!  Thank you to the Cunningham family for the DQ gift card...(she is the HS nurse and knows "good medicine").  Yes, we broke all the health food diet "rules" and for me it was worth it to see Tom smile like this:
On our way to DQ the sun was setting and was casting this most amazing orange glow across the sky.  The clouds were like tiny little pillows of orange sprinkled above us and Tom said "this makes me smile".  God had painted that picture just for us....a marriage memory made. 
I must tell you that not all things here are ice cream, sunsets and clean houses.  Tom has had the hiccups for over a week, off and on.  The steroids have made his sleep much more disturbed and the tension of waiting for surgery this long is difficult.  One of the great things about the steroid is it picks Tom's appetite up in an incredible way.  He ate three turkey burgers for dinner last night!  He was so excited when we were at the doctor's office when he weighed in at 196.5!  He had been down in the 180's and for a man with a stature like Tom's...that equals "skin and bones".  Thank you for lifting us up in prayer through this waiting period and beyond...we are blessed to have YOU joining us on this "journey".
We look forward to seeing Tom's parents today.  Tom has pre-op testing at the hospital today at 1:15 so my sister will be picking them up from the airport at 2:10.  We pray for their traveling mercies and for Tim as he flies home from Belgium today too.
We rejoice that my parents arrived safely, via car, yesterday from Florida.  They couldn't hold out down there any longer and went ahead and made the trip.  We enjoyed visiting with them last night.  They will be staying at my sisters while Tom's parents will stay with us.

3 comments:

Les said...

Dear Sweet Lisa,
Know I continue to pray daily for healing. I praise Him that He is constantly meeting your needs. He will continue to be ever present. Praying for successful surgery and that Tom regains ground quickly. Know you are very loved.
Les

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Tom-
My heart is heavy for the both of you, and for your sweet kids as well. I am encouraged at the goodness of the Lord, reading how He is with you, and so close to you all. How He loves us through our pain and sorrow, and how He grieves with us. I am thankful that a dear friend directed me to this blog so that I can keep up with praying for you. I am praying for Tom to know the Mercy of the Lord, and the Truth of His promises.
I was riding my bike to school today, and thinking, for some reason, about this being my tenth year since I began teaching. And I thought of Tom, and how God used him in a mighty way to grow me, and to develop so much of my passion. Tom was even there as I struggled to make sense of what I knew to be true in the face of hardship, and I am thankful for the Grace Tom shared with me as I found myself coming out of a dark period. Please know that even here, in Denver, Colorado, Tom's light is shining. And know that I love you both, and that I am praying for God to guide and direct and to move in ways that only He can. Tom used to tell us all, "God is good. God is only good. Only God is good." I tell you this, not to sound trite, but to say that I see this in the story you are telling about your journey through this.
I am praying Psalm 61:1-4 for you both. When your heart is without strength, cry out to God. I pray that He leads you to a Rock that is higher. May you live in His tent forever, and take refuge under the shelter of His wings.

Michael O'Donnell

Mr. Stoll said...

Dear Tom & Lisa,
Words cannot adequately express our love for you, but please know that we continue to pray for the surgery and for God to work through the surgeon(s), doctors and nurses. I was reading Psalm 102 and as you know, David's prospects were also "bleak and bleary," but there were a couple of things that I thought might bring you encouragement:

12 But you, LORD, sit enthroned forever;
your renown endures through all generations.

18 Let this be written for a future generation,
that a people not yet created may praise the LORD:

24 So I said:
“Do not take me away, my God, in the midst of my days;
your years go on through all generations.
25 In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
26 They will perish, but you remain;

27 But you remain the same,
and your years will never end.
28 The children of your servants will live in your presence;
their descendants will be established before you.”

Tom, when I think about the far-reaching impact you've had on thousands of students over the years (especially me!), may God be praised for the work the He has done through you to help raise up a future generation who seeks to bring Him praise and glory!!! And, I pray that He will bring you healing and many more days of pointing our "future generations" toward Him and His ways!
Much love in Christ,
David