Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Friday, January 25, 2013

Vision

Many of you may have noticed my inspiration for writing has dwindled some.  Besides filling you in on the daily life of our family, the inspired words have slipped into a puddle of tears.  Lately my emotions are so erratic and come at the most bizarre times....middle of a basketball game, driving down the highway, or a booth at a restaurant surrounded by those I love...minus one.  Even now as I type this I can barely see!
The "inspiration" behind this post is vision.  I have needed new glasses for quite some time, however during Tom's illness that was not a top priority to have my eyes examined.  I remember so vividly taking Tom for his eye exam this past summer and how hard that was for both of us, him not being able to communicate well and the doctor telling him there wasn't much they could do to help, was so disheartening.  I guess I was avoiding going back into that environment with a heart full of heavy memories.  Well, I did it and once again God sees me through each hard task.  I finally picked up my new glasses yesterday and I'm thinking they are so similar to the last pair that no one would even begin to notice, minus the scratches and better view for me!  What a praise to be able to see, clearly.  And even with new glasses I realize my vision is only partially perspective.  Is the glass half full or half empty?  I'm learning through this grieving process that Satan wants me to focus on what I've had taken from me.  God wants me to focus on what I have!  I battle back and forth between the focusing part.  It's a lot like the bifocals in my glasses.  I need to nod my head a little when looking at things up close and pull it back a little to see at a distance.  Where, Who, what do I want to focus on?  Each day is a little different...BUT my goal is to keep my focus on Jesus and what He has done, what he is doing and what He is going to do!  My cup is full and running over...but, do I always choose that focus?  I have to be honest and real...no...I sometimes woller in the "woe is me", but by God's grace and His faithfulness He sends His people to lift me up, encourage me and draw me back to God's loving arms.  Whether in person, through a text, e-mail, Facebook message, a card of encouragement or whispers of prayer on my behalf...I am ever amazed at the body of Christ!
As my tea turns cold, the snow lays a blanket of white outside...my heart is warm.  Warm with thoughts and memories of Tom, an amazing family who encourages, strengthens and supports, and the abundance of friends who keep me moving, giving me inspiration and not letting my circumstances rule my life.
"And I saw another angel flying in midheaven,
having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth,
and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people;
and he said with a loud voice,
Fear God, and give Him glory,
because the hour of His judgment has come;
worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.”
Revelation 14:6-7
What does the "gospel" mean to you?  Thank you to Pam Woods for the wonderful lunch we shared this week and for the encouragement of the gospel she gave me...a shot in the arm.
These four truths are from an article Paul Tripp wrote on the gospel:
1.  Grace (gospel) will decimate what you think of you, while it gives you a security of identity you've never had!
2.  Grace (gospel) will expose your deepest sins of heart, while it covers every failure with the blood of Jesus!
3.  Grace (gospel) will make you face how weak you are, while it blesses you with power beyond your ability to calculate!
4.  Grace (gospel) will take control out of your hands (scary), while it blesses you with the care of One Whose plan is unshakable and perfect in every way!
"I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened,
so that you will know what is the hope of His calling,
what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.
These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might
which He brought about in Christ,
when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand
in the heavenly places,
far above all rule and authority and power and dominion,
and every name that is named,
not only in this age but also in the one to come.
 And He put all things in subjection under His feet,
and gave Him as head over all things to the church,
which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all."
Ephesians 1:18-23
Praying God will wrap His arms around you as you seek Him and His plan for YOU.
Trust Him, He is trustworthy...look at me!
I'm so grateful for the ability to have my vision corrected, however it is still only a correction of the physical "outward appearance" and the real correction I/we need is of the heart.  Lord, help me see people through "cross-eyed" vision...seeing them as You see them and having a compassion that only comes from Your Holy Spirit residing in me.
Is your cup half full or half empty...it's your choice to tip your head and focus on Jesus or tip it and focus on yourself?
I'm at that age where many of my friends are turning that lovely number 5-0...Tom would have celebrated his 50th last November 3rd.  He missed it shy of 24 days.  I guess if I had my choice a 50th birthday party in heaven wouldn't be so bad...best party ever!  I'm not quite there yet, but if I have the opportunity to celebrate in heaven I'll be thankful Tom and I can celebrate with Jesus together...we'll have to wait and see!  God's will be done.  Anyway, three of my very good friends celebrated this milestone event in January and I was blessed to be a part of their celebration.
Celebrating 50...Carylee, Karen & Terri
You girls are AMAZING!
(L to R) Carylee, Karen, Suzanne, Midge, Jill, Tracy, Terri & Lisa)
Another SURPRISE...
Bethany, Sarah & Heidi
Sarah's two special friends from Grace College came to surprise Sarah for the Grace vs. MVNU game last Saturday.  They arrived on Friday night and had sweet fellowship (Zac & I were all in on this plan) and Sarah was VERY surprised and so happy to have them.  Beth and Heidi were so sweet to bring me flowers AND cook a delicious breakfast for us on Saturday morning before leaving for the game.  It was another loss for Matt's cougar team but many Grace fans were happy with the win.  After the game 13 of us joined for dinner at Parkside.  What encouragement to me that group of people are.  In spite of my sadness and tears they continue to uplift and stick by me.  I don't have a picture, but the group was:  Lisa, Sarah, Zac, Matt, Terry, Kelly, Zac, Mike, Cheryl, Morgan, Beth, Heidi and Nate...thanks everyone for your love towards us!
Quilting Project
I'm so thankful for projects to keep me busy on the days I feel well.  I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to make three tee shirt quilts as graduation gifts over the past four years.  I am making one now for Jess Meyers, Carylee's youngest, who will graduate from WCHS in June.  It is coming along nicely and always a good winter project.
Not only does Carylee keep me busy with fun shopping trips, eating out, and day to day "adventures", BUT she and her recently engaged daughter, Morgan, have asked me to help with the wedding plans!  I already lay awake at night scheming up ideas and thinking through things and the wedding isn't even until September!  As I have had time to get out and about, my "design on a dime" mentality has gotten some items to use for the reception decorating!  I'm so looking forward to it all coming together and trust Joel and Morgan will find it to be just the way they wanted it!
My "box" of fall decorating goodies!
Joel & Morgan
Congratulations!
"You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows."
Psalm 23:5

1 comment:

rom828lws said...

Oh my goodness, Lisa, your writings sure tug on my heart! I just want to give you a big HUG and cry with you (and I do from my side of the computer!). Give yourself grace in the grieving and crying! I'm a cryer too, with far fewer reasons than you to do so! God bottles up those tears -don't you wonder what he does with them?

I have to tell you, I also got new glasses (bifocals) this year, but I have to honestly say I picked them up and totally took it all for granted. Not a thought or word of gratitude to God went into it and now you have put so much godly perspective into it - the Lord is showing you how to focus on Him in the every day things - and you are "seeing" it!! Praise God! And you are sharing it!! Praise God!

So even when you feel you aren't inspiring, you are inspiring! You're such a blessing to me!

xoxo Wendy