Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

To:  Lisa,     Love:  Tom
Today isn't even half over and it couldn't be better!  I woke this morning to a dozen red roses from Tom...Sarah was his help on this one...a huge surprise and a sweet way to the start of a great day.
This morning at Tom's infectious disease doctor's appointment his PICC line was removed!  What freedom both Tom and I feel without his special blue "purse"!  When he went to get in the car I instinctively grabbed for the "purse" and when I realized it's not there anymore I smiled from ear to ear.  It was great having Mike and Cheryl join us for this appointment so they too could witness the joy of being "unattached".  It is a winter wonderland here in Columbus today and it couldn't have been a more beautiful picture with the large snowflakes falling outside of The Ohio State Medical Center on the trees laced with shiny red hearts!  My heart was/is full.  Upon arriving home from the appointment Tom wanted me to open his card that he had for me!  In his own handwriting the envelope said "Lisa":
Outside:
For My Very Special Wife
If I had said a heartfelt prayer
in hopes that God would send
A loving soul into my life
to be a lifelong friend...
Inside:
I'm sure, with all His power,
all His love and wisdom, too,
That God could not have given me
a better wife than you.
Happy Valentine's Day
(Tom wrote:)
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
TOM
(with a smiley face in the "O" of LOVE)
I was crying so hard I couldn't read it aloud and Tom kept asking me to "read it out loud"!  I don't usually cry with cards, but this one did it for me.  I can't tell you how tender and sweet my husband is.  He even has "plans up his sleeve" for tonight and I've been kindly asked to leave the house from 4:30-5:00 for some reason!  I've never been this excited on Valentine's Day...in years past it's been "my" holiday to make special!
Special Delivery Today...yummy cookies!
Tom was sleeping while these arrived so I haven't opened the card, but I have a sneaking suspicion they are from Paul & Ellen Schoonover since she e-mailed me to see if we'd be home today to receive a delivery...Thank you, Schoonovers!
A sweet Valentine from sweet friends:
Brian, Dawn, Berkley & Malayna McMahon
Thank You!
On a more serious note...yesterday we met with the neuro-oncologist and we both find a peace in the next phase of our journey.  We both are thankful for the wisdom of Dr. Cavaliere and we are so thankful that we weren't presented with options to have to make a hard decision.  Dr. Cavaliere feels confident in his decision to start a combination of two chemotherapy drugs as soon as possible.  Of course there is a long list of side-effects with both drugs, however we are thankful that with many, medications can ease these side-effects.  They both are oral drugs that will be administered at home.  One is taken one day every 6 weeks while the second is taken the 2nd and 3rd weeks of those 6 weeks.  Our biggest concern and prayer request is for Tom's platelet level to remain normal during this treatment.  We know they will drop so a rebound is needed before he could start round two.  He was always an amazing "rebounder" and we pray that he can "rebound" as well during this not so fun opponent.  One of the other changes for both of us will be his diet.  We were given quite an extensive list of food items to avoid that could cause complications.  So for those of you who have graciously decided to bring us a meal you may want to reconsider or at least read the list prior to your meal planning.  I will post the "what to avoid" list on the TakeThemAMeal.com website.
After much paperwork and many phone calls I believe the Social Security Disability forms have all been filled out, turned in either electronically or physically and now we wait.  Whew...
"Blessed be the LORD,
Because He has heard the voice of my supplication.
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart exults,
And with my song I shall thank Him.
The LORD is our strength,
And He is a saving defense to His anointed."
Psalm 28:6-8

1 comment:

Barb said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you and Tom. What a beautiful example of a Godly marriage you live out daily. I'm so glad that Tom's PICC line has been removed...freedom for sure!! Will also pray that your man will be a fabulous rebounder! It sounds like your Valentine Day was extra special. Much love to you both.
Barb