Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Friday, December 16, 2011

WOW

Wow...how do I begin other than I am clinging to Psalm 119:105 trusting that His word has been a light upon our path and I can NOT second guess His leading.  Last March we contacted OSU to get a second opinion on Tom's situation and we could not get in at that time.  We felt such a peace regarding Tom's care at Riverside and proceeded with treatment and care there.  After our last oncology appointment my sister-in-love and I both were very disheartened with Tom's oncologists lackadaisical attitude toward a more defensive stand on treatment.  Cheryl took on the task again of recontacting OSU and scheduled an appointment with the neuro-oncologist.  This past Wednesday we met with Dr. Cavaliere and we were impressed with his aggressive, offensive approach to Tom's treatment.  He sent Tom right away to get an MRI to get a clearer picture of what is going on in Tom's brain.  Dr. Cavaliere called us Wednesday evening after looking at the MRI!  I'm impressed already with this man.  The news he shared was not what we wanted to hear, but completely understandable.  The infection that we were told was "superficial" is actually not.  The infection is deeper and will require more surgery.  He said they would take Tom's case before the neuro-tumor board on Thursday morning and get back to us.  He called Thursday saying the team agreed that Tom needs more surgery and definitely the infection has penetrated the brain and possibly the bone flap too.  He said the neuro-surgeon would call to schedule an appointment to see Tom on Friday.  Sure enough when we arrived home from rehab they called and said can you come "right now"?  It was a flurry to get out the door and back down to the construction chaos at OSU Medical Center!  We met with Dr. J. Bradley Elder who will be doing Tom's surgery on Monday, December 19th at 9:30 a.m. with arrival at 7:30 a.m.
J. Bradley Elder, M.D.
My first thought when he walked in the room was, "how old are you?"!  With his surgical cap on he looked about 20...I must be getting old!  Anyway, he will remove the bone flap, once again, and instead of storing it in Tom's tummy like last time it will go in a freezer, hopefully well labeled!  The tummy opens up more opportunity for infection...imagine that.  He also will be inserting a pressure tube to monitor Tom's spinal fluid pressure to make sure that the drainage Tom has been having isn't spinal fluid.  He is also calling in a plastic surgeon who will close up the incision to make sure there are no gaps and proper closure to insure for no room for outside infection to enter.  This is not at all how we planned our week before Christmas, but we do know that the One Who came that first Christmas knew all along how we would depend on Him more than ever this Christmas!  Tom doesn't seem anxious at all...he is ready to get this healed up once and for all.  Tom's wife on the other hand seems very tender and maybe just a little overwhelmed.
The largest poinsettia I've ever seen!
Another anonymous gift...
This week has been one surprise after the other...my brain is frozen and I'm not going to remember all the gifts and treats that have come...but know that we are overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends!
WCHS Garden Club Gift

"Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak;
O LORD, heal me, for my bones are troubled."
Psalm 6:2


5 comments:

Rochelle said...

You believe you are fragile, Lisa -but I feel you have phenomenal strength! And Tom....well he is a fighter if I ever saw one. What a joy and comfort to have the Lord on our side, huh. What more can I say other than that you and all of the medical staff attending to Tom will be in our prayers. We love you and your family.

thoman said...

Hi Lisa, this is your old friend, Tess. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not praying fervently for you and Tom. Larry and I have wonderful memories of you both and how you welcomed us to Ohio and Grace 21+ years ago. I find myself weeping often wondering what I could do for you both. I am thankful for the many posts you put on your blog, it helps us to know how to better pray. Love, Larry and Tess

Abbie said...

Aunt Lisa and Uncle Tom,
We will be praying extra hard this week that the surgery will go well and that you will be able to spend a very special Christmas at home! Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a peaceful, family Christmas? That's what I'm going to pray for! Lots of love sent your way! Abbie & Alan

Lori Diaz said...

We will continue to lift you in prayer!

Lori Diaz said...

We will continue to lift you in prayer!