Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Thursday, December 1, 2011

New Wheels!

My brother, Mike, took on the challenge of finding us an appropriate vehicle that would accommodate our new needs.  He was able to find this beautiful SUV that is more than we could have imagined!
2008 Saturn Outlook
Now when we travel to MVNU, rehab, church, doctor's appointments, etc. we ride in style and comfort.  It has more "bells and whistles" than all our previous cars combined!  Thanks Mike and Cheryl for all you did to make this happen...we are blessed.
"And you who travel on the road—sing!"
Judges 5:10b
Speaking of cars...Tom was such a proud owner of his dad's 1992 Pontiac Bonneville.  I'll never forget the day that he drove up in his "new" car with such a smile on his face.  Tom's dad worked at General Motors for 35 years before retiring and it is Tom's dad who taught him how to maintain and care for a car so it would last for years.  Tom has always taken great care of our cars and has had them maintained and serviced on a regular basis.  He keeps a small notebook in each vehicle to record each oil change, tire rotation and any service required!  Anyone who wants to know these details can easily obtain them...I'm not sure who wants to know other than himself!  Well...Tom has (I think) come to grips with selling his prize possession...his dad's Bonneville.  I do know that students at WCHS knew when the principal was on campus...his car always parked in the same spot...until he realized the tree he parked under dropped berries!  He gave up the "prized" spot for a couple spots over to whoever didn't mind berries on their car.  He meticulously waxed his car twice a year to keep it looking good.  The Bonneville is now listed on Craig's List and is currently sitting in front of our home with a "For Sale" sign in it.  Our brother-in-love, Terry, is taking this responsibility on for us.  We trust in God's timing He will provide the right buyer for the fair amount.  I do realize people don't pay for sentimentality!  We are thankful to Matt for taking the time to clean the car while he was home for Thanksgiving break.
We now are the proud owners of a brand new, made to order, wheelchair!  The man from Columbus Medical had never outfitted a wheelchair for a 6'7" person.  There were quite a few specifications for modification on this "new ride".  What a piece of equipment it is.  There are some things that we really like about the new wheelchair...and, unfortunately...some things we don't like so much.  This wheelchair is called and "ultra-light"...I'm not picking up on the ultra-light piece of the description.  We were praying that I would be able to lift this new chair with much more ease...not the case.  I do believe I need to take a weight training class to better get me accustomed to this new lifestyle...a LOT of lifting.  This new "made to order" beast is not fitting into the new vehicle as well as the old beast = disappointment.  We are still tweaking and learning the best ways to use and do things, just when we were in rhythm with the old wheelchair, now something new!  We'll get it down and we want to remember to:
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!  Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near."
Philippians 4:4-5
This is a hard topic for me:  meals!  So many sweet friends have offered meals...I am now ready to say that we would be more than blessed to have meals on the Tuesday's and Thursday's that Tom has out-patient rehabilitation.  I am so grateful to Carylee Meyers who has graciously taken on the organization of the meals.  If you are so inclined to honor and bless us with a meal, you can contact Carylee:
Home (614)895-7886
Cell (614)205-9234 (text too)
Today when we arrived home from therapy there was a package on the front step!
With love from Kevin & Leslie Foley
Chocolate Covered Giant Strawberries
We are so sad Zac, our son-in-love, isn't here...this is his absolute favorite treat!  Well...we're not too sad...we can enjoy them all to ourselves!  Thank you Kevin and Leslie for indulging our taste buds and being such godly influences/friends in our lives.
Some tidbits:
I never mentioned that the Lovenox shots that I had been giving Tom are now finished.  When we met with the oncologist he thought that an aspirin a day would be just as good at keeping the blood clots away.  I can't tell you who is more excited about that, Tom or myself!
This past Monday Sarah and Zac were able to stay in town until 3:00 and our goal for the day was to put up the Christmas tree!  Goal accomplished.  What a bittersweet time...sweet having Zac and Sarah here to help...bitter thinking "how do I make Christmas any more special"?  I have to be honest and say that the tears flowed too easily and frequently on Monday.  With each decoration a memory was stirred and each Christmas carol the heart strings were tugged.  We are thankful for all the good memories and special Christmas' we've enjoyed together.  We trust God for His grace and mercy to see us through many more...and yet the reality of what Tom is facing is ever present.
"Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is the sustainer of my soul."
Psalm 54:4
The hand-painted manger scene my mom made for Tom & I on our first Christmas in 1985!
My parents have been staying with us and what a help they have been.  I've always teased my mother-in-love about older people never have dirty laundry...well, my mom has kept the washer and dryer running and the laundry chute is always empty!  Not only has she kept the laundry done, but she has done all the ironing too!  Both my parents have been quite the troopers in making our outings smooth.  They are the wheelchair tag team.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to take Tom out alone I'm so used to all the help.  There are so many things they have done...fixed dryer, helping with meals, tending to Tom, helping organize the house, decorating inside and out, playing Skipbo with us and just plain loving on us!
Tonight we were blessed with a meal from Anne Marie Weakley.  She made homemade turkey meatballs with ravioli!  It is something I've never made from scratch and I was so impressed and it tasted amazing too!  Thanks Anne.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Bless this family, precious Lord...bless this beautiful family!