Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Friday, December 23, 2011

Home for the Holidays

Cheryl, RN attending Papa's knee!
While at the hospital, getting Tom ready to transition to home, we noticed blood on my dad's jeans.  My dad has had knee pain for some time and while here in Columbus he finally saw a doctor.  Yesterday he had his third of three injections of cortizone (or something) and the bandaid did not hold back the blood flow since he is on a blood thinner.  Way to go Papa for adding more excitement to our lives...Cheryl is working overtime with two patients and no earthly pay!
Gifts from the Betulius Family
Yesterday Tom was released from the hospital, however it took quite a bit of planning to get him home.  We arrived home as close as we could to 4:30 trying to meet the home health nurse here at the same time, however with the rain and rush hour traffic, the nurse did not arrive until about 6:00 just as our wonderful "Welcome Home" meal arrived.  It was "grand central station" and my heart and mind were heavy with so much to take in.  I can't say that we had a good experience with the home health nurse and after rushing him out the door at 7:30 we did enjoy the amazing dinner from the Betulius family.
I won't go into all the details of what I call a "bad experience" but I am thankful that Cheryl is here walking me through the proper steps of getting it all straightened out and reminding me the importance of Tom's health being my number one concern.  With Tom's PICC line we all need to be aware of the high risk of germs, bacteria and proper care management with an infection like Tom's.  Today Cheryl has spoken with CSI (infusion supply company) and they have agreed to allow Julie Mitchell (friend & RN at OSU) be Tom's home healthcare nurse!!  This is a huge praise and relief to our family.  Julie lives in our neighborhood which makes this inconvenience a little less complicated.  Cheryl has also met with the out-patient lab where Tom's blood draws need to be taken.  She also made copies of all the medical papers that this change required and neatly organized them in a folder for Julie...over and above with an amazing servant's heart.
Our hearts are full with the generosity of neighbors and friends who have continued to bless us with cards, gifts and COOKIES!  I have not had the time to do any christmas baking and everyone has 'stepped up to the plate' with tins, trays and bags of goodies.
Tom Chodzin Family...Thank You!


2 comments:

Cathy said...

So glad you are home for Christmas. Continuing to pray for you all daily. Hoping to be able to see you sometime soon. Christmas blessings,
Cathy

Jun Lan said...

Dear Tom and Lisa,

It was a shock to us to know that Tom has been sick and is going through all these treatments. He is such a strong and funny man in my memory. And he still is as I look from the pictures. Although I haven't read the whole history of his illness, our prayers go with him. May our Lord's grace be with your family. (BTW, Tong, Austin and I were all baptized into Jesus the Lord in Detroit Chinese Alliance North.)

We are back in Michigan since October. Everything goes back to normal for us. Austin is in middle school this year. I can't believe it is another Christmas already. I still remember the 98' Christmas when your family invited Tong and me to the Christmas show in your church.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas!

God Blessing,
Jun, Tong and Austin