Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Saturday, March 10, 2012

One Year Ago Today...

It was Thursday, March 10th, 2011 that Tom had an MRI that revealed he had a brain tumor.  I can still remember the gut wrenching feeling that slammed into my body that day.  As much as I remember about those specific couple of days...Tom doesn't remember any of it!  I remember Tom sitting at the island counter making the calls...to his parents, school and our children.  He remained calm, collected and extremely positive.  We continued our evening with the plans that had already been made...dinner at my sister's.  We all tried to carry on as "normal", however the mood was somber and my dad was unable to pray for the meal.  Tom drove home that night and I later found out that my family thought I was crazy for allowing him to drive...he seemed "normal" to me!  After receiving the phone call from the doctor that day and him telling Tom the news, the doctor had already scheduled an appointment for Friday with a neurologist.  It was that Friday morning that I fixed Tom eggs and toast which he wasn't able to keep down.  He went back to bed and when I couldn't rouse him to get ready for the neurological appointment, I called the doctor and he said "proceed to the emergency room".  Alarms rang in my head...this wasn't part of the "plan"...I'm much better today getting my husband ready (showered and dressed) than I was a year ago!  I called my parents who graciously came over and helped me get him to the hospital.  The rest is history...
What have we learned in this past year?
God's Word is more real...
God's presence is felt more frequently...
God's grace is sufficient...
God's people are incredible...
God is our Provider...
God is an incredible Creator...
God meets us where we are...
Life is fragile...
Prayer is powerful...
Life is short...
How to enjoy moments...
Thankfulness is the key to true joy...
We can experience joy in the midst of sorrow...
Time is precious...
Family is priceless...
How to really slow down...
Simplicity is sweet...
How complicated the human body (brain) is...
How to live with Heaven in sight...
Forgiveness is vital...
Attitude matters...
Commitments are crucial...
Honoring your marriage vow is essential...
Relationships matter...
God's plan is perfect...
God's timing is perfect...
God is perfect...
God has our best interest in mind...
We are in His hands...
Tom + Lisa = Soul Mates
(Tom told me to add this math equation!)

3 comments:

Debbie Richardson said...

reading your blog, Lisa, and seeing the pictures of how fabulous you both look, gives me pause to continuously thank God for the miracles in our lives, the ones we can see and the ones we can't... my mom's prayer group in Orlando meets weekly and always asks about my college friend. Her pastor is encouraged when I give her updates. They have had some really great answers to prayer in the previous months.. my mom's kidney issues, a girlfriend of mine with an evil boss lady.. my mom's pastor prayed that my friend would get a new boss or a new job with a new boss; within a few days my friend was fired & my friend actually thanked God for the blessing! within days she had multiple job offers and a burden off her heart; God hears our prayers and answers them in His time & in His way, sometimes in ways that we cannot understand, but we know that He loves us & would never harm us.

So we continue to pray for strength and healing for Tom and strength for you, Lisa, that God will supply all the love and support that you need so that you can continue this journey with the man you love.

God bless you both.

Debbie Richardson
Bryan College, class of '83
Hollywood, FL

BDE said...

Lisa,

You and Tom have been on my mind and heart of late. As this years seniors prepare to leave for the Domincan Republic this week, I am reminded of how fast these past 4 years have gone by and the impact Tom has had on Brett and myself. I am thankful for the prayers, mentoring and discipline Tom provided Brett. Please pass along to Tom how much Brett has grown and matured as a result. I continue to pray that our Heavenly Father will grant all your family a peace that exceeds anything we can understand and will guard your hearts and mind as you live in Jesus Christ (Phil 4:7 NLT)

Brian, Kay, Elena, & Brett Elder

Abbie said...

Dear Aunt Lisa,
Just about every time I read your updates on the blog I end up with tears welling up in my eyes. It's not necessarily everything that Uncle Tom has been through, although that is part of it, mostly it is the sweetness of your words and spirit. As I was reading this post about what took place a year ago and then the list of all the things you have learned from these hard times, it just struck me that not many women would be as loving or thankful to God as you have been. Honestly, throughout this whole year your Christianity and the beautiful heart that you have has shone through all of the storm clouds. Thank you for being such a wonderful example of how true love can be shown during any circumstance. I love you all very much! Hi to Sarah and all who dwells there :)