Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy Anniversary Dan & Brittany! Chemo Re-Start

I'm putting a "warning label" on the front of this post...if you don't have a lot of time or stomach...don't read this...it's long and gross!
"I, therefore, the prisoner in the Lord,
urge you to walk worthy of the calling you have received,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience,
accepting one another in love,
diligently keeping the unity of the Spirit
with the peace that binds us."
Ephesians 4:1-2
Yesterday we met with the oncologist.  He did not order the MRI, the radiologist did,  and he believes it was too soon to get a good read.  The report stated that there were "enhancements" on Tom's brain which they interpret to be either radiation/surgery effects or tumor regrowth.  The doctor did not think it was tumor regrowth for which we are thankful.  The oncologist wants another MRI in 2-3 months.  We know that the PROTOCEL can also show up on an MRI so we are trusting God that this is what the "enhancements" are.  Last night Tom took his first day of round one of six chemotherapy treatments.  The doctor said make sure you have the anti-nausea medication on hand.  Neither Tom or I thought that he would need this since while on the chemo during radiation he never needed it, however he wasn't taking as large a dose either.  At 1:47 a.m. Tom began the vomiting.  He got back in bed and I said "I am so sorry" and he replied, "it's not that bad" and I proceeded to get the anti-nausea medication.  It wasn't ten minutes later he was back in the bathroom hurling over the great white throne.  He crawls back into bed and I say "I'm so sorry, can I pray with you?" and he replied, "I'm okay, just a little vomit, yes, please pray" so we prayed.  At 2:18 a.m. came the last round of yuck in the toilet.  We didn't know it would be the last one so I prayed and waited...fell asleep.  In the morning I was sure he would be wiped out and not wanting to go to work...boy was I wrong.  Tom came into the kitchen dressed, ready for work and singing "My God Reigns"!!  Therefore the verse at the top, Ephesians 4:1-2, my husband:  walking worthy, humble, gentle, and patient.  Tonight we have a better strategy...no turkey tacos for dinner, take the anti-nausea medication before the chemo and eliminate one chemo pill.  You see, yesterday I browned, prepared and froze 15# of turkey meat for tacos while we're on vacation with 24 family members the first week of August.  I had some extra meat and thought we'd just have tacos for dinner last night not even thinking that he may get sick.  Hind sight is 20/20!
Speaking of sight...Tom is still limited in his peripheral vision of his right eye.  I have noticed that he is getting more accommodated to it and compensating better for it.  However, he remembered that he had a warranty on his current glasses and wanted to get the replacement lenses even though it wasn't a new prescription, so we ordered his new lenses.  We went to Sears yesterday to pick them up and ran into Holly Varian and her mom, Judy Bechtel.  What sweet women who have prayed, encouraged and empathised with us on this journey.  I can't think of anyone better to understand what we're going through than the Bechtel family.  Thanks for your hugs and encouragement yesterday.
Also, yesterday while at COSTCO I ran into Sue LaMonte.  What an unexpected surprise and encouragement.  Sue has been such a prayer warrior for us even when she was facing such a difficult time in her life.  Sue fell on the ice this past winter and crushed her wrist for which she has had two surgeries and a lot of rehab.  During that time her daughter who is "high risk" had precious baby Hayden who has since had some difficulties.  I was encouraged yesterday that he is doing well.  It was great to see you Sue!
We are thrilled to let you know that Tom was at the high school yesterday working from about 10-2!  And he's back again today!  Please pray that he will maintain a confidence in who he is as a principal and that he can continue to keep the pace with working during the chemotherapy.  I know I am encouraged and sense the body lifting us up.
While Tom and I were still in Florida, Matthew had a cyst removed from his arm!  He is a tough kid (like father/like son) and didn't even need his mommy to hold his hand during this procedure!  Anyway, today he is having his stitches removed and he's a man going alone.
Our son-in-law, Zac is driving a van full (8) of teenagers from his youth group in Indiana to Pennsylvania for Momentum Youth Conference.  Would you please pray along with us for their travel safety and a great week of listening to and obedience to God's Word?  We know Sarah would love to be alongside of Zac, however we trust as she is faithful to her new job she will receive blessing too.  One day soon she can be that full-time pastor's wife that she will be so good at!
Last but definitely not least is a shout out to Dan & Brittany Magee...Happy 3rd Anniversary!  Continue walking with Jesus, trusting Him and being faithful to His calling on your lives and you will be richly blessed.  We so look forward to being together at Barefoot Landing and continuing our family fun tradition anticipating a baby Magee with us next time...WOW!  Praying for your wisdom in your housing situation, job changes, a move and a healthy pregnancy.
Okay that wasn't last...but it reminded me...when Tom & I arrived home our computer wasn't working.  We knew before we left that it was having "issues".  We are so grateful to Tom's parents and brother for the gift of the laptop...only God could time something like that!  I just pray that we will eventually be able to get the pictures and some documents off of the old computer.  I wanted to post Dan & Brittany's wedding picture but can't retrieve or even start the old computer so this picture will have to do again.


2 comments:

peggiebell said...

I found that eating a slice of bread or a few soda crackers with my chemo pills also helps. Taking the anti-nausea medicine about an hour ahead is the trick. Also, ice chips became one of my favorite things during chemo to help with sores and a bad taste in my mouth. Hope this helps. I continue to pray. Lisa, several in my Bible study are praying specifically for you as the main care-giver, too. We are continually blessed by your blogs.

Barb said...

Bless your hearts...sounds like quite a night! I'm so glad to hear that Tom was at school the last couple of days. I know there are so many of us lifting you both up in prayer. I will be praying for Zac as he travels and for Sarah as she stays behind to work. Thank you so much for your wonderful updates via your blog. Much love to you.