Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Finding Joy in the Drought

So much I want to say...so little I can share, other than it's been a hard week...me wrestling with God (again)...my 'hip a little out of joint', but another reminder of His hand upon me.  As you know we are in a drought here in Columbus...even my faithful watering in the garden can't compete with the extreme heat and lack of God's rain.  I had to sadly pull up one of my zucchini plants last night...bugs and rot taken over.  I felt (notice past tense) like that plant earlier this week.  The drought had taken a toll on me, bugs eating away at my joy.  Do you remember earlier in my journey when I wrote about the "storm" we were in and finding it hard to breathe, swim, see, etc. in the midst of the storm?  I am now learning the other end of the spectrum of seeking liquid refreshment in the dryness of the desert.  Today God met me with a sip of His refreshing, life-giving water.  Why is it a constant learning?  I'm not a great student, but I continue to learn that God wants me to be a student at His feet.  It was September 1994 that He taught me that knowing Him would "be enough":
"More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of  knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."
Philippians 3:8-11
Retention...I had to be re-taught this truth because I hadn't retained what He's taught me from previous life lessons!  Knowing Christ...is He enough?  That's what I've wrestled with this week.  What is enough for you?  I know in my head...getting it to my heart is a very different lesson.  I've been given the opportunity to live it out this week.  Well...maybe not a week...I don't learn that fast!  Daily God is giving me opportunity to live out this life lesson of He's enough.
"My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace,
Not even blessing, but Himself, my God."
-Oswald Chambers
As I re-read this quote I'm realizing this is my goal, what I am striving for...I guess I'll never fully understand it here under the clouds.  When I see Him face to face...this drought, this parched life, this thirst will be fully quenched...I honestly can't wait...but while I do wait I have to live with this goal in mind, knowing what is to come.  Now that's hope...I have hope...praying you do too.
Gerber Daisy's of Joy
Thank You, Anne Marie!
In the midst of the driest point this week, some very dear prayer warrior friends and family brought me truth from God's word, visits with hugs and texts of cheer...thank you to my dear support team!
Now on to the "homefront news"...Tom's parents arrived by plane yesterday afternoon for a 10 day visit.  We are so thankful to have them.  After dinner we enjoyed a pleasant break in the temperature with a short walk, visit to the garden and conversation on the patio!
Saturday Homemade Chinese Trio of Chicken, Scallops & Shrimp!
Thank You, Nightingale Chen...you are a blessing!
Sarah & Bethany
We enjoyed having Bethany Klein, Sarah's friend from Grace College, here visiting for the weekend.  She (we girls) tried to beat the guys in Skipbo, but the boys were relentless and she'll have to make another visit to take them on in a rematch!  Thanks Beth for a fun visit!
Orange Leaf...frozen yogurt on a hot night!
Zac, Lisa, Tom, Matt, Beth & Sarah
A Western-Pennsylvania Specialty
Steak Salad with Fries, Fresh Fruit & Bread
AND
Peach Cobbler
Thank You Dave & Alicia O'Roark...what a fun, different & tasty meal!

No comments: