Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Aunt Margaret

Today I want to honor my Aunt Margaret who celebrates her 82nd birthday!
Kelly, Cheryl, Aunt Margaret & Lisa
I have very fond childhood memories of my Aunt Margaret.  One of my favorite memories is how special she made me feel when she would allow me to play with her tape recorder and microphone...it was so "cool".  I loved to hear myself (then) through the speaker and then replay it and laugh hysterically at the sound of my voice.  Aunt Margaret has always appreciated music and is quite talented vocally and also plays the piano, organ and accordion!  Not too many people know someone who plays the accordion and I know three...my Aunt Margaret, Tom's Uncle Carey and our niece, Ashley!  I grew up going to church with Aunt Margaret and you could either find her in the choir loft or in the kitchen.  While at her home she was either at the piano with several gathered around singing or in the kitchen preparing for a family feast.  Whenever she would get up to sing in church her knees would snap, crackle and pop and we would tease her that we always knew she was coming before she got there!  Thank you Aunt Margaret for many precious memories over the years...you are special.
"Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;"
Deuteronomy 7:9
This evening we anticipate the arrival of Tom's parents from Florida!  They will be here for a week and get to experience Tom's "new" life here at home, the benefit dinner on Thursday and Matt's basketball game on Saturday.  We will enjoy a week of their company before they have to get back to Florida to thaw out!  My parents have extended their stay so they too can come to the benefit dinner and then they will also make the drive back to Florida where they will "warm their bones" and wonder why the rest of us live in this cold state!  I am SO thankful for all the sunshine and milder temperatures we have had.  It certainly makes getting out with Tom much nicer.
It was so special for Tom and I to be back in church last Sunday among our brothers and sisters in Christ worshiping together.  Along with the sweetness of being among the body we also were so honored to be able to be at that service where Zac and Sarah were introduced.  Zac is an "official" intern at our church for the next six months.  What a joy and privilege to have them here with us.  I can't say enough how much we are enjoying their company and all the things they are doing to make our life sweeter.  Please pray for them as they continue to "transition" into this new life.  Zac continues his seminary studies at Grace which will require him to travel back to Indiana once a week for a class.  Pray for his stamina, safe travels during these winter months and for his ability to juggle marriage, in-laws, work and school.  Pray for Sarah as she continues to look for a part-time job here in Columbus.  She wants something flexible so that she can continue to be greatly involved in Tom's care and a help to me as well.
Tom seems to be improving slightly each day and we are encouraged.  His greatest improvement has been in his speech.  For a while he didn't even want to talk because it was so hard for him to formulate his thoughts into words and then words into sentences.  Where now he is putting forth effort and wants to make his words/sentences correct!  What blesses us the most is his desire to pray again.  I have to tell you that has been the hardest for me since last October, Tom not being the spiritual leader that he is so amazing at.  He's coming back...the spiritual leader...I'm so thrilled at this, not only is he initiating prayer at the table, but before bed as well.  I will be honest with you...I have prayed in my heart quietly, but for some reason when I try to pray out loud I am moved to tears and then Tom doesn't understand why I am crying...it just becomes a mess!  So I am rejoicing!  When he began "pushing" himself just awhile ago, he said he would pray for the meal...he started, stammered, paused....then went into the Lord's prayer!  When he was finished he said "I tried" and we all cheered and cried...it was a break through moment that is cherished in my heart forever...so glad Zac and Sarah were here to experience it with me.
Another "break through" moment...I was encouraged by Tom's speech therapist to look into getting Tom and i-pad for Christmas...so I did!  He didn't have much interest in it at first but has recently taken to listening to the Bible each morning...YEAH!  Not being able to read has been a huge challenge for him, so with the i-pad it can read to him.  He always wants me to read the sports page to him and I have to confess I bulk at this.  Now that Zac is here they can read it together and both find enjoyment from such trivial details!
I have to send a big "thank you" to Julie VanVoorhis for the beautiful calendar she sent.  She is in a Facebook Christian Photography group that put their amazing photographs of nature with scripture.  Julie has her pictures on three months!  I guess her trips around God's awesome world gave her some sweet photo opportunities!  Thanks, Julie.
lovingkindness.
Yesterday during my quiet time God reminded me again that He wasn't surprised by "our story" He has so intimately written for us.  So often times when I get frustrated or wonder "why?"...God so graciously gives me just what I need...a large dose of HIM.
"Are you on the eve of change?  Do you find yourself looking into a new chapter?  Is the foliage of your world showing signs of a new season?  Heaven's message for you is clear:  when everything else changes, God's presence never does.  You journey in the company of the Holy Spirit, who 'will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you.'  John 14:26.
So make friends with whatever is next.
Embrace it. Accept it.  Don't resist it.  Change is not only a part of life; change is a necessary part of God's strategy.  To use us to change the world, He alters our assignments.  God makes reassignments.
But He wants you to know:  you'll never face the future without His help."
-Max Lucado
Just what I needed reminded of yesterday!  I'm so thankful that I don't have to "do this" alone...at times I wonder in my heart, "how long, Lord?" and I quickly retract my question with "give me grace for today...it's enough".  My "today's" are piling up and I'm so thankful for the weeks and months that we share together.  I'm realizing how precious time is and reveling in the moments God gives.
A powerful song introduced to me by Anne Marie Weakley:

1 comment:

Kathy Foreman said...

Hi Lisa and Tom: Would Sara consider substitute teaching? It is wonderfully flexible. I believe the ECC could use substitute teachers, too. Looking forward to tomorrow, although I know our visit will be much like that at a wedding. You are amazing! God is good.
Kathy Foreman