Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Choosing Joy!

"Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing."
James 1:2-4
I claimed this verse on October 14, 2011 after Tom's surgery that left his right side unfunctionable.  A dear friend sent me the sweetest e-mail about her struggle with "choosing joy" and I could so relate.  God brought back this verse again this morning in my devotions and I find it quite timely.  I can honestly say that what we have gone through has not been a "great joy", however God gives us joy in our spirit as we continually trust Him for His plan.  We know that God is producing endurance...we need it.  It is my/our desire to "choose joy" in spite of our circumstances.
"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous!  I have conquered the world.”
John 16:33
We know why we have peace because we know Who has conquered this suffering world!
"Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him.  But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind.  That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  An indecisive man is unstable in all his ways."
James 1:5-8
I have never been classified as a "wise" person and especially now I find myself in need of much wise counsel to help me navigate my way through medical and financial jargon.  I am so thankful for the "wise" people God has placed in my life to help me make sense of it all.  Tom has always dealt with our medical and financial things and I rather enjoyed not having to deal with it...spoiled you say...yes, he did spoil me...however, paybacks have come full swing!  I am in the process of going through all of our files and reorganizing them to "my system".  It is not a task I enjoy, however I am rising above and slowly but surely getting things in place.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, Tom and I are meeting with John Foreman (WCS Superintendent) and Mike Kremnitzer (WCS Human Resources) to learn what being on "disability" looks like.  We know it's time and the school has been more than gracious to us.  Please pray for both of us as we know this is a hard step.  I have asked some of our "wise counsel" to join us for this meeting...Terry Herbst and Zac Hess...their listening ears and good judgement bring me a peace.  On our way home from therapy last Thursday, we had the radio on in the car and a commercial for WCS came on.  I looked over at Tom as a tear ran down his cheek, he has such great love for WCS and knows his days there are over in a sense.  They have "kept the light on" long enough.  Tom has been a part of WCS since 1984.  We talked last night about how he feels and all he could say was "new chapter".  He is an amazing man of integrity and I can't tell you how blessed I am to spend each and every day with him.
Thursday Night Taco Pizza
Thank you, Alicia Kraynak!  We loved it and the chocolate cake too!
Last Friday I had a great idea...bake cutout cookies for Matt's basketball team.  You see I didn't get to make any Christmas cookies so this would be my "fix".  Zac and Sarah left on Saturday morning to drive out to Grace College so they could be at the MVNU vs. Grace game and see Matt play.  I packaged up the cookies so they could take them and present them to the MVNU players for their trip back home.  It was a tough loss for MVNU and we figured they could use the cookies to cheer them up!
Just out of oven...
Icing added...no, they're not pumpkins...
Basketballs!  Go Cougars!
Last Wednesday I had the privilege of meeting one of my dear and "wise" friends for coffee at Starbucks, Nancy Green.  I was able to do this since Sarah could stay with her dad...thanks, Sarah!  What an enjoyable time we shared together and the time went way too quickly.  I had mentioned to her that I had gotten Tom the i-pad and still did not have a protective case for it...well, her son works at the Apple store and she was able to get his discount and she purchased it for us.  She came to church on Sunday with it.  She also was able to give me some quick lessons on the "how to" side of an i-pad.  Thanks Nancy...I love you!
On Saturday we enjoyed City Barbecue from Chuck and Chris Grant.  What a treat it was and especially the DQ Snickers Blizzard for Tom and the Peanut Buster Parfait for me!  They were so large that we have enjoyed them for the last three nights!
While it was a quiet weekend with Zac and Sarah gone we did enjoy having Kent and Suzanne Homoelle over for some good old fashioned Skipbo competition!  I believe we all left happy with the guys winning one game and the girls another.  Thanks, Kent and Suzanne for your special friendship.
Tom, Lisa, Kent & Suzanne
July 4th, 2011 ~ Venice, FL
We were all wishing we were in Venice now!

1 comment:

Jun Lan said...

Hey, Tom,

Maybe you can show me how to play Skipbo next time we visit you. Or do you want to play Uno? You bet my Uno skills improved since last time you taught me and we played together. And Austin is a good Uno player too.

BTW, still remember how to say Uno in Chinese?

Have a blessing day,
Jun