Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Graduation

This time of year accentuates the feelings already bubbling in my heart...
Graduation...
May 10th has come and gone...not only did that day mark Sarah's 26th birthday, but it marked 19 months since Tom's "ultimate" graduation.  From diagnosis to ultimate healing Tom was given 19 months to breath earthly air and we were blessed to have been able to share that air with him.  From Tom's last breath of earthly air until Sarah's 26th birthday I have had breath, but it has come with difficulty...like COPD, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.  I gasp at how time marches on...I want to hold my breath thinking that somehow by holding my breath time will slow down...slow down so I can better remember, breath easier.
As I focus on the accomplishments of those who graduate this year, I especially think of
Matthew...
What an incredible four years of college he experienced...and HE DID IT!! He entered college his freshman year with a healthy dad encouraged and excited about all that college was going to bring for Matt.  It was just six months into Matt's college experience that his 'healthy' dad was grasping for life after being diagnosed with brain cancer.  After battling many surgeries, rehabilitation, chemotherapy, and radiation Tom was able to join us as we moved Matt back onto campus for his sophomore year...Tom found his spot on a sofa while Matt, friends and I unloaded the car.  It wasn't even two months into Matt's sophomore year Tom had another seizure...the tumor was back and surgery left Tom paralyzed on his right side.  More rehab...a wheelchair...and a determined spirit to "never give up" saw us through Matt's basketball season.  Being in a wheelchair was not conducive to moving Matt back onto campus his junior year...Matt made that move without dad and mom.  Less than two months into Matt's junior year his dad had his ultimate graduation.  Starting that basketball season was more than difficult for Matt and the rest of our family.  Matt persevered.  Not only was Matt diligent in the classroom, but on the court as well.  Matt moved himself into his dorm his senior year with a very fragile mom at his side.  He did it...we did it...I know Tom is proud of the man he raised.  As I put words onto paper for Matt's graduation gift, I recalled what I thought Tom would want to say...here is some of what I wrote:

“I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 3:14

Matt…don’t reject passivity – be bold in your faith.  As you feel God has called you into the public school system He will give you many opportunities to either be bold for Him or to be passive in fear.  I challenge you to take hold of the gospel with all power and go forth in boldness!
Matt…accept responsibility – never blame others for what is your responsibility.  Pride is an ugly thing that steals our joy and robs us of taking ownership of what God has asked of us.  Be a man, own up!
Matt…lead courageously – God has and will continue to give you opportunities to lead.  Whether it’s in the classroom, on the court, on the field, or in your home, you need to be bold in your Christlikeness and lead as the Lord commands you.  Always keeping God’s Word as authority and leading as Christ lead (& your dad) with a servants heart and hand.
Matt…expect the greater reward – just as your dad has received his great reward, know that this life is just a gateway to our greater reward.  Living with purpose and an eternal perspective will give you the advantage.  Never loose sight of heaven, I call it “cross-eyed vision”…seeing people, things and situations through the eyes of Christ and His work on the Cross…there is hope for everyone!

Many of you have been faithful prayer warriors on Matt's behalf...I can't thank you enough.

I will bring this blog to a close for now...
I may pick it back up as we celebrate the highs and choose joy through the lows...
Sitting down to write has become more of a burden than blessing...
I guess that means it's time to move on...
I will leave you with some pictures of recent highlights:
Roommates, Teammates, Friends...
Matt & Caleb

Matthew Thomas & Elizabeth Rose
 
Congratulations Luke & Jessica!
Carson Lewis Anglea
April 8th, 2014
7lbs. 3 oz.
 
Pops & Granny Meet Carson!
 
Cassidy's Bridal Shower~Kline Cousins
Sarah, Lauren, Emily, Aubrey, Brittany (back)
Erin, Cassidy & Morgan (front)
 
Siblings...
Kelly, Mike & Lisa
 
Celebrating Mother's Day & May Birthdays...
Painting Pottery
Kelly, Lisa & Mom
 
Collins Avery is Dedicated to the Lord!
Tim, Lauren & Avery
 
 
Family...
Zac, Sarah, Liz, Matt & Mama
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss reading your blog Lisa. I've checked in several times since Rachael's wedding, but I respect your decision to move on for now. I just want you to know that you have been a blessing to my life with the feelings and insights you have shared. Many times I feel that I've been touched by God through you. To paraphrase an old Irish blessing, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. Good night.

Sue S. said...

I too will miss reading your blog, almost always read with tears in my eyes remembering what all of you have been through and the ups and downs of life. We are so blessed to have had the Tom Anglea Family in our lives for many years - you are one very special family! Take care of yourself, enjoy summertime and I think you should blog an update at least quarterly, just sayin! Love you all!!!