Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Friday, January 31, 2014

A Day to Celebrate!


Today marks one year since my last chemotherapy infusion!  I praise the Lord for this last year, even though it has been an extremely hard year...it's been another year granted to me to enjoy family, friends and His grace. 
For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God.
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;
and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me and gave Himself up for me.  I do not nullify the grace of God,
for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”
Galatians 2:19-21
None of us know the "number of our days".  I seem to live in the balance of being fully aware of my mortality and yet living with full abandon.  It's a hard place...dealing with the 'what if's' and yet tossing aside my fears and really living, wholeheartedly.  I think so often of Tom, not quite experiencing fifty earth years and wondering if my earth years will turn into heavenly years before the dreaded five-oh...only God knows the number of my days...and for that I'm thankful.  He allows us to choose how we live these days...with Him or without Him.  I'm choosing "with Him"...I'm all in, ready for His lead, His way, His glory.  Tom set an unprecedented example of how to be "all in" and with such an amazing attitude.  He was so ready for God's plan to be unfolded in his life...no matter what the plan was!  I'm thankful I got a front row seat to watch, listen, and anticipate with Tom his journey to Jesus.
You’re going to have to get it:
Death may be certain, but when it comes is uncertain,
which is what makes the living gloriously uncertain — a choice.
-Ann Voskamp, A Holy Experience
These past few weeks (months) have been the coldest and snowiest that I can remember.  It's caused some "cabin fever" for me.  I never minded "cabin fever" when Tom and the kids could enjoy the cabin with me.  Sarah reminded me the other day how special it was to have her dad be an educator and get to experience "snow days" with our family.  Lately, many schools (& universities) have had their fair share of "snow/cold days".  Locally, just this week, they had three days off!!  As I huddle up in the comforts of my little cabin...I reminisce of snow days...time with family, sledding, roasting marshmallows in the fireplace, hot cocoa, and old family videos to watch!  Good memories, great family...I'm thankful for the memories of "snow days'.  However, I'd be lying if I didn't say that the huddling up in my place, alone, isn't painful.  I've spent too much time wallowing in the "woe is me" and not "WOW is the Lord"!  Loneliness is engulfing and I thank the Lord for His presence in my time alone, however it is a choice for me where to place my thoughts.  
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone;
I will make him a helper suitable for him.”
Genesis 2:18
God is so good to have blessed me (for 27 years) with the most amazing man, I was privileged to be his helpmate.  I can't forget God saying "it's not good for the man to be alone", but is it good for the woman to be alone?  No, I have a Helper...
"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper,
that He may be with you forever;  that is the Spirit of truth,
whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him,
but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you."
John 14:16-17
Tonight I'm going to celebrate because:
Everyone knows they will die. They just don’t know when.
So forget about the when. Who cares when you die.
The real question is: when will you start to live?
-Ann Voskamp, A Holy Experience
 

1 comment:

Barb said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Lisa. None of us knows when God will call us home and your example of choosing to live each day, no matter how painful, following Jesus and His path for your life, speaks to my heart. Thank you for your honesty in that struggle. I am thankful that we have a God who meets and accepts us right where we are. You are a testimony to His grace and love. Much love to you...Barb