Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Christmas to Remember

Zac, Sarah, Lisa & Matthew

Why is it that we tend to remember the bad times better than the good times?  I've heard that the more we feel an experience, the better we remember it!  If that's the case...I'll never forget this Christmas.  As my last post stated I had a "simple" out-patient procedure to internally blast an overly large kidney stone on the Friday before Christmas.  Two, or maybe three, days of discomfort, pass the stone fragments and life moves on...not for me!  After three days of increasing pain, calls to the doctor, drinking fluid non-stop, I woke up Christmas morning feverish.  My parents loaded me up and delivered me to OSU Medical Center where I eventually was diagnosed with urosepsis from blockage between bladder and kidney...after an emergency surgery to place a stent, heavy antibiotics and two nights in the hospital, I came home.  It's been a very, LONG two and a half weeks.  Finally, today I am seeing some light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.  Today the stent was removed, relief!
I realize I am not a nice person when I'm in pain.
I realize I said some mean things to people I will probably never see again.
I realize I'm a pampered, spoiled American who expects things (comfort)...
and when I don't get them I pout, scream & kick (& talk "ugly" too)!
Lord, forgive me...
"But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men,
who have been made in the likeness of God;
from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing.
My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.
Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?"
James 3:8-11
I realize I am broken.  I am bitter.
I realize I need a Savior.
EVERY BREATH
EVERY SECOND
Until He calls me home.
I have found myself on several occasions blaming 'not having a husband to temper me' as why I'm the way I am or why I said something I shouldn't have.  I could not have made it through the past two weeks without my parents being here...serving, loving and just being here physically to encourage when I felt so discouraged!  
 
Recently while reading a chapter in "Let Me Grieve but not Forever", God grabbed my heart...

"Was there meaning in my life solely because of Tom?
Or was my life with Tom a wonderful bonus to the
meaning in my life because of God?  So does meaning
for me now become impossible because there is no Tom?
Or can there be renewed meaning because there is a God?
I have lost Tom - I haven't lost God.  One was a gift in time;
the other a gift for eternity."
-Verdell Davis
(changed name from Creath to Tom)
 
Another inspiring blog I'm following:  Undiminished Me
 
I am not content though, to go through this process of grieving Tom's loss via the path of least resistance.  If there is something good to be got from it, by Golly, I want to get it.  The pain is too much to come out with bitterness, disillusionment, cynicism, or mere apathy.  Those are what I think I will end up with if I don’t actively fight my way through this thing. Or as C.S. Lewis so aptly put it, If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.”
I will get there in time.  I will resist the urge to lie on the couch in the fetal position watching re-runs of “HGTV” 24/7 while eating a case of Twizzlers and sulking in sadness.  Instead, I will talk to Him more about my little case of denial.  I will stay in fellowship with the saints and allow them to minister truth to me.  I will worship and praise Him and study his Word harder than ever.  I will cherish the memories I have and, someday, I will praise Him for the demise of one very fine young man with my head and heart.
I will grow—grow to more like Christ and not be diminished.
(Ok, I changed a few words to make her statements mine...is that legal?)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the suffering you experienced over Christmas and I'm so glad you are getting relief now. Reading your blog has meant so much to me that I wanted to share something with you. My Dad died 20 years ago from a brain tumor. One day he had been quietly dosing and he woke up looked at me and said, "This is important. You must remember this. Love never dies. It is a circle that continues from one loved one to another throughout time. You girls keep this circle growing in your lives. Please? Remember this. I am supposed to tell you." I knew then that the love I felt for him and that he felt for me would never die. Tom was a gift from God to you and the love he felt for you was (is!) also God's gift. Remember, you were also God's gift to Tom. Your writings are so honest about your feelings and struggles and so full of your love and dependence on God that I know you are keeping the "circle" my Dad spoke of going in your life and the lives of others. And I know that through God's grace your Tom and my Dad (and Mom and other loved ones) will be there when we return home.

Lisa Anglea-Lange said...

I'm not sure who "hgh" is but THANK YOU for commenting! I realize I don't post as often as I used to, but I'm grateful for your comment and pray Gods blessings on you as you continue God's legacy of a "circle of love". It is also refreshing to know I have at least one reader! I always wonder if anyone still reads this! I praise Him for this outlet and how He has used this blog in my life to draw me closer to Him and give me a place to put my heart on "paper"!
Choosing joy,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa please know that your blog is read sometimes 2 or 3 times by me. They speak so loud and clear and makes me want to walk even closer to God and also I realize that God is so real. Please know that I pray daily for you and your writing is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

By the way that last comment was Cynthia Eckenroth, Your son-in-love's aunt.

mkline7 said...

I don't know about you but....I see that 327,354 times people have seen and read your blog! I am confident that I don't only speak for myself when I say that your words comfort all who follow. Love you!