Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Jumping In...with both feet!

Vacations are over...
School has started...
Fall programming begins...
So many options, so much time on my hands...how do I enter back into the busy life I once knew, but seems so far away?  At times, I think how quiet and calm the last two years have been as Tom and I quickly withdrew from many of the "normal" activities that surrounded us.  Tom's diagnosis, his paralysis and then my diagnosis caused for a quick halt to the life we once knew.  How do I "enter back in" as a "half" of person?  First, I realize that God purposefully, patiently and perfectly planned our story for His glory...I must be aware that He is God and I am NOT!  What I think would have been a good plan, wasn't His plan...can I adjust to this new life?  I am putting both feet forward and choosing to live as He would want...humble, with a gentle spirit desiring God's will...which is rejoicing with great joy because He is my faithful Creator!
"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ,
after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong,
firm and steadfast."
I Peter 5:10
I am being restored and strengthened as I stand firm and steadfast in Him!
With this in mind...I have made some "lofty" commitments...I started this week as a Mentor Mom for our MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) group at church, two Tuesdays a month.  I have started going to a GriefShare group every Thursday evening (12 week course).  I will be participating in a Sunday School starting this Sunday.  And, I have signed up to be in a ladies grace group on Tuesday evenings.  In the "between time" I am casually looking for part-time employment...so if you know of an opening where I could serve in the Columbus area, let me know!
A beautiful woman...inside & out!
God saw me through a very difficult time...going to the first Celebration of Life service.  It was an honor to show support to the Rettstatt family as they celebrated the life of a dear wife, mother, and grandmother on August 23.  Walking back into our church that day brought many emotions back that I wanted to avoid, but couldn't.  I'm not sure if it was the emotional toll or just my heart acting up, but it forced me to call the cardiologist...of course they wanted to see me.  After an echo cardiogram, EKG and having my pacemaker interrogated...they said my heart was as good as could be in my situation (even better than last visit!).  The doctor did make some medication changes and we will see if that will prevent the pressure I'm experiencing (or I just don't go to anymore funerals!).
Emi's Tea Party
One of the joys of feeling better and having 'time' was being able to say "yes" to watching our youth pastor's daughter while her mom got her hair cut!  What a fun time Emi and I had as she entertained me with her special tea set!
Matt & Liz
What a blessing to have Matt home for a couple of weeks before going back to MVNU.  He bubbles with the "joy of the Lord" and a young lady friend...Elizabeth Rose Pecchio!  It was fun to have Liz in town for a couple of days too.  Matt and Liz moved back to MVNU on Sunday.  Matt starts his senior year and Liz will be a junior.  On Sunday I was able to meet Liz's parents, Bob & Peggy...what a fun evening we had together.  I told them that Tom & I moved Matt in his freshman year as a "normal" college freshmen with no worries in the world. However, much caution was taken on move-in day his sophomore year as Tom had been diagnosed with GBM and was moving pretty slow.  But, Matt moved in alone his junior year since Tom was confined to his wheelchair and the dorm was not handicap accessible.  This year his dad watched from the front lines of heaven...I did it alone...tears streaming down my cheeks as we drove separately with both cars loaded of all his "earthy goods".  I praise the Lord for His strength to let me help in a little way, still feeling so frail.  Thank you to all Matt's friends, cousin and roommates who made the unloading easy!  Thank You, Ginny for calling me and making the drive home "not alone".
Lisa, Sarah, Morgan & Carylee
What fun it has been for me to watch the "love story" grow between Joel Trainer and Morgan Meyers!  Sarah and I were honored to celebrate with her at a beautiful bridal shower.  We can't wait for September 15th to see God join two godly, young people who desire to serve Him!

Thank You, Hyrnkow Family!
Your love, support & prayers are GREATLY appreciated...
One Cousin Binds Three Cousins!
Wendy, Brenda & Lisa
What a fun Labor Day fellowshiping with my cousin and her cousin.  My mom and Brenda's dad are brother and sister.  Brenda's mom and Wendy's mom are sisters.  We all went to high school together, Brenda two grades ahead of Wendy and I who were in the same class.  We enjoyed reminiscing about high school and people who now are our Facebook friends BUT the most fun was hearing how God has written His story on our hearts!  Priceless is knowing we all share the commonality of being "sisters" in Christ.  Brenda prepared the most wonderful lunch and now we can cross off our "bucket list" our little reunion, however...if the Lord tarries...we should definitely do this again!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Lisa,

Your smile is just infectious! Thank you for graciously leading us by your humble example to jump in with both feet.

MOPS was such a ministry to me with my littles. Thank you for sharing your love with these new moms!

Sue S. said...

I remember the day you took Matt to MVNU his freshmen year, Tiffany called to tell us that "little" Matt Anglea was coming to MVNU and she was so excited to see the grown up Matt and you and Tom. Hard to believe he is a senior and even harder to believe all that has happened to your family since then. Praying for you guys, you're an awesome bunch - love you all!!!

Sue S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abbie said...

Hi Aunt Lisa,
How special for all of the groups you have joined to have such a special lady be apart of their fellowship time. You will be such a blessing and influence to the different people you come in contact with due to the programs. I still think of Uncle Tom very often and miss him greatly! I hope Matt and Liz have a great school year together :) We are looking forward to seeing you in October!

Love love,
Abbie