Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day...Memories...Mercy

Let me begin with a huge "THANK YOU" for all who have served or are currently serving our country.  I especially lift up those who have given the ultimate sacrifice...their life.  I pray for the families who mourn the loss of a loved one, while the rest of the world carries on with parades, picnics and family gatherings.  I too can relate to the void of missing a loved one...not one who fought for our country in the military, but one who fought for freedom by teaching, loving and modeling a life of freedom in Jesus Christ.  He did battle...19 months, before God chose to call Tom to his eternal home of real FREEDOM.  I miss him more with each day that passes.
Mrs. Goodman's Cupcakes
Last week I received these yummy cupcakes along with a special invitation to the Worthington Christian High School Spring Choir Concert honoring Tom!  What a special and emotional night Tuesday was!  Karen Rugg-Klapheke does an amazing job directing the choir and bringing out the best in each student.  It was her idea and I'm ever grateful for her honoring our family in such a special way.  During the concert I was presented a beautiful bouquet of tulips and a picture slide show, put together by Colleen Homoelle, was shown during "Upon Your Heart" the song the choir sang at Tom's 'celebration of life' service.
The Program & Tulips
Zac, Sarah, Me & Matt
Ginny, Terri, Me, Carylee, Kelly & Beth
 
I forgot in the last post to tell you that a dear friend, Beth Duewel, came from Ashland, Ohio to plant all my planters with flowers!  I can't tell you what a blessing this was for me and will continue to bring me joy through the summer as the flowers bloom and mature.
This is just a sampling of her amazing "green thumb"...
I believe she planted over 12 planters/pots!!
Thank You, Beth!
 
Joyce, Leah & Terry
Congratulations to niece, Leah, on her graduation from Providence Bible College!
 
Scrapbook presented to me from Mr. Stoll, Media Director at WCHS
This scrapbook was compiled by the journalism students.
A record of statements from the chapel following Tom's "graduation".
Thank you ALL for such a special treasure and reminder of why we all loved Mr. Anglea!
 
Thank You Stoll Family!
 
Beautiful flowers from
Jun, Tong & Austin
What a special treat to receive an e-mail from our Chinese friends who were going to be in Columbus for Memorial Day weekend.  We met Jun & Tong when Jun was a graduate student at The Ohio State University in 1997.  We invited them for a traditional American Thanksgiving in our home.  When Jun finished his graduate work he and Tong moved to Michigan.  We had never met their son, Austin who is in 7th grade.  We were excited to get an e-mail saying they would be in Columbus for Memorial Day weekend and could we go to dinner!!
Matt, Lisa, Tong, Austin & Jun
Max & Erma's
What an enjoyable evening we had!
 
Another Anonymous Blessing
Thank You!!
 
Matt & his large mouth bass from the Englehart's pond!
What a blessing to enjoy our Memorial Day with dear friends, the Englehart's!  They know what it means to sacrifice as a military family.  Thank you Tom for your service for our country!  I am so sad I didn't get a group picture.
 
As far as my health is concerned...I had my right lung "tapped" (drained) on Friday.  There is good news and bad news.  Good news is that there was less fluid than when the CT scan was last taken.  Bad news is there was fluid on my right lung and there is fluid on my left lung that will need tapped this week sometime.  I'm very discouraged that the fluid remains/continues, but I'm confident that the Lord knows the details of my lungs and will bring this to an end...hopefully SOON!  Thank you for your continued prayers.  I'm not feeling as good as I would like, but with each day God gives me the strength I need.
 
Prayer requests:  My parents are en route from Hawaii to Florida and then will drive to Ohio for my nieces wedding on Saturday!  Please pray for their safety, strength and stamina after a long trip.
Please pray for Matt (& me) as he is leaving tomorrow (5/28) for his summer camp job at Beulah Beach (Vermilion, Ohio) on Lake Erie.  I am so excited to see how the Lord will work through him and in the lives of the young people God places in his care.  Please pray for me as I have quickly adjusted to his time with me these past couple of weeks.  It will be another piece of my heart torn as he leaves tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sue S. said...

Needed lots of Kleenex to read this post, my heart just cries for you, Sarah & Matt! Can only imagine how much you all miss Tom, each season and Holiday brings different memories, grief is so hard! Plus I just want you to be healthy - enough of this sick stuff! Love you all, think of you and pray for you daily! Looking forward to seeing you Saturday. Continue to rest and take care of yourself.