Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Life is a Gift


If you don’t take it all as gift, you end up taking it all for granted —
which amounts to not taking anything good from life at all.
A head can think otherwise but somehow a heart can feel wiser.
You can cut umbilical cords but you can’t cut heart strings.
The best way to prepare for what’s ahead is to be present to what is now.
Be present to the gift of now.
-Ann Voskamp, A Holy Experience
I'm not sure where to begin...I spent 22 out of 30 days of April in the hospital!  I'm still in shock at what all has happened and my mind spins at the thought of it all.  Believe me when I say I've had my share of "wrestling matches" with God.  I've gone from, "Lord, take me now" to "Lord, Your will be done" to "Lord, why me?" to "Lord, what have I to learn yet?".  I've come to the point where I'm flat on my back (hands tied behind my back!) and completely helpless.  I've come to realize in all I've been through I still have so much to be thankful for:  eyes that see, wobbly legs still get me where I need (sometimes not fast enough), hands to praise and use, ears to hear His still small voice and the wise counsel of others.  Not one night did I have to spend alone, between Cheryl, Kelly, Sarah, Carylee & Ginny they kept the couch warm and my heart at ease knowing they were there...I am blessed. 
Someone once defined worry as:
"a small trickle of fear that meanders through the mind, cutting a channel into which all other thoughts flow."
Knowing these women were a whisper away at night helped me keep that "cutting" to a minimum.
Not only did I have family and friends to push me through the difficult days but also my "J-team" who all three sister's-in-the-Lord, work at OSU Medical Center, continually brought encouragement and straight talk when I needed it most:  Janice Akers, Janice Whitmire & Julie Mitchell.
Janice A. makes things happen, batting for me at every turn and then encouraging me with:
 
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you.”— Isaiah 41:10

Whenever I think of God’s faithfulness in the midst of suffering, I am reminded of my dear late friend Corrie ten Boom, the remarkable Dutch woman who, with her family, hid Jews from the Nazis. After being imprisoned in the infamous concentration camp Ravensbruk, Corrie traveled the world telling her story of suffering, forgiveness, and joy.

For thirty-five years she never had a permanent home, but when she was eighty-five and in declining health, some friends provided her with a lovely house in California. It was a luxury she never dreamed she would have (and one she never would have pursued on her own).

One day her friend, the late movie director James Collier, was visiting. He said, “Corrie, hasn’t God been good to give you this beautiful house?”

She replied firmly, “Jimmy, God was good when I was in Ravensbruk too!”

Most of us will never experience the horrors Corrie knew. But no matter what we face, we can depend on God’s promise: “Fear not, for I am with you.”

Janice W. made it clear to me that "the wheel" I'm on consists of 5 spokes: Tom, Lisa, Matt, Sarah & Zac.  We roll smoothly because Jesus is the Center of our wheel.  I understood that while Tom was sick he deserved the kindnesses of others because his life was such a reflection of Christ...me, not so much (very poor self-esteem at this point in my hospital stay).  Only as sweet as Janice can say:  Lisa, it's not about YOU!  My lack of health had brought me to a focus all on me.
From "The Red Sea Rules" by Robert J. Morgan:
First, He brought me here , by His will that I am in this strait place: in that fact I will rest.
Next, He will keep me here in His love, and give me grace to behave as a child.
Then, He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me the lessons He intends me to learn, and working in me the grace He means to bestow.
Last, in His good time He can bring me out again - how and when He knows.
Julie (my therapist!) made it so simple for me, from one line in a Christmas Carol, "O Holy Night":
"Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth."
Julie shot straight with me that this world in sin and error doesn't feel Christ's worth in their lives.  That was me.  I know who I am in Christ...I just needed that nudging reminder of allowing God's Spirit to infuse me with HIS worth!  This is all so much easier on the side of feeling better and being at home!  Without these precious women in my life I'm sure I'd still be wallowing in the stench of myself.
All the events of April are blurry to me...from complete heart block, a pacemaker, a lead revision, a cardio version, port removal and fluid on my lungs is quite a bit to go through for God to get my attention!  I'm praying that the fluid that remains with eventually reabsorb into my body, no more fluid will reappear and that through this busy month of May I will be able to share God's grace in all my doctor appointments and make the important events on my calendar a reality.
Thank you for your continued prayers on my behalf.  The doctors tell me that time and rest are my best friends.
Thank You Kent & Sally Johnson!
Thank You Di Coughlin!
Fresh Cut Spring Flowers from Julie Mitchell's backyard...Thank you, Julie!
Beachy, Peachy Roses...Thank You, Rick & Tammy Nuzum!
Thank You Sweet Friends!
So thankful for nice weather to get outside with Matt & Sarah...
tears came when they rolled me back in!
Cheryl & Lauren took me out on another beautiful day...
Congratulations to Tim & Lauren on their announcement
of their first child due around Tom's birthday!
I cried this day too as they wheeled me back to my "cell"!
Thank You Cindy Dunn for my special birdie!
Thank You Anonymous Friend!
Thank You Chris Grant for the seeds for my garden!
Thank You Linda Heimann!
 
My Goal:
Being more concerned for God's glory than my relief!
 
Last night I had the awesome privilege to go to my nephew, Zac's, tennis match.  What a gorgeous day for tennis.  As I sat there I thought...so this is what a normal life is like!
Aunt Lisa & Zac
After the match, Terry, Kelly, Zac & I enjoyed a wonderful meal together at Ruby Tuesdays!

3 comments:

BDE said...

Lisa, I appreciate so much your willingness to be real and authentic. You continue to be an inspiration and encouragement to me in my own walk with the Lord. You have reminded me as I have often reminded my kids that our purpose and value in life does not come from the stuff of the world, which can be gone in a flash, but from our heavenly father who has promised us eternal life through his son and our savior, Jesus Christ. May our hope rest in his promise. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Brian Elder

Holly said...

Love you, friend. SO glad you are home and enjoying the sunshine and normal activities! :) Hugs.

CCC said...

In 1967 I taught 3rd grade in a Christian school in Georgia. A few weeks ago I was reminiscing about that year and tried to remember the name of each of the kids in that class. Sadly, many of the names are gone, but a few remain. One tall skinny fellow was named Timmy. His brothers were Terry and Tommy. And their dear mother, whose sweet encouragement helped keep this scared first-year teacher going, was named Amanda and was the school secretary.

Google and I found Timmy, then providentially (I think) found your blog where I have read (and watched) the remarkable journey that you and Tommy took and which you are still taking. I was so saddened…and yet so blessed at the same time. How can sadness and blessing flow from the same suffering? It did, I’m certain, because you and Tom are channels directly from the heart and being of God. Everything you and Tom said or wrote cried, “We don’t want this, but, Father, receive the glory…receive the glory!”

And He has received the glory in my heart.

I have prayed for you daily since I first found your blog. The past 3 weeks, the absence of updates on your blog made me feel that you were going through a tough time so I’ve sent many prayers from Colorado up to Heaven on your behalf.

Do continue to be the strong sweet witness you are. Thank you so much for the work you put into the blog. It is more of a help and blessing than you’ll ever know.
Carol Christian