Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

B.R.A.T.


"Don’t be afraid of them, for the Lord your God fights for you.
“At that time I begged the Lord  Lord God,
You have begun to show Your greatness and power to Your servant,
for what god is there in heaven or on earth who can perform deeds and mighty acts like Yours?"
Deuteronomy 3:22-24
 
I've realized over the past week...I'm a "brat"...the more I think about it...we're all brats!  Little begging children at daddy's feet wanting something.  What I've wanted is to feel better.  Never did I think that my first chemo treatment would send me on this "trip" to bratville.  Without a lot of detail of unnecessary and gross information...I was sent into the worst case of diarrhea I've ever experienced!  T-M-I  After a visit with my "Florence Nightingale" aka, Julie Mitchell, RN extraordinaire, I was connected to a new friend named "Immodium".  To make a long story short...my connectedness didn't last long enough and I ended up in the chemo lab for IV hydration today.  I'm starting to feel less like a wet rag and more human with each passing tick of the clock...the clock couldn't tick fast enough for me as I "Begged Relentlessly And Totally" to Jesus.  When the nurse told me to start the BRAT diet I thought she meant:  beg relentlessly and totally to Jesus...but, what she meant was:  bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.  I honestly think a diet of bratiness is quite healthy...depending on Who you're whining to!  I'm trying to make light of a weighty situation...once again I apologize for my poor humor.
With my white blood count at a dangerous low, I'm told to withhold being in crowds and around sickly people.  So how does one live with the "sickly" (Zac) and do some Christmas shopping I ask myself?  Quarantine Zac to his bedroom and jump on the Internet I guess...how fun is that?
I am SO thankful to the friends and family who have supported me through these difficult days.  No day is easy.  As I walked into the lab today to have blood drawn the sweet nurse asked, "are you married?"...as I burst into tears I then proceeded to tell her the sad, sad story of my sad, sad situation.  So many of you have sent gifts, cards and encouragement my way, BUT I told my sister..."the gifts are nice, Christmas is nice, the decorations are nice, the music is nice...BUT without Tom is all seems so flat, meaningless...kinda like life without Jesus...meaningless".  Now that I'm feeling better it is a little easier to trust God's plan, but boy when I wasn't feeling well, the person typing this blog was "Debbie Downer" and even God's Spirit was having a hard time bringing the blues to pass.  Each day is a choice for me to choose God's plan or choose my plan...keep praying that I can choose God's plan of thankfulness and praise because He does know what He's doing even when I'm not sure He does!

“…no good thing does He withhold…” Ps. 84:11

And the good things in life are not health but holiness,
not the riches of this world but relationship with God,
not our plans but His presence —

and He withholds no good thing from us
because life’s good things aren’t ever things.
-Anne Voskamp

Prayer Requests:
-No infection
-Stamina
-Zac's health
-Sarah's strength
-Niece, Emily having baby TODAY!
-Niece, Leah leaving for Madagascar on 12/11 for 4 months!
-Matt, basketball tournament at Bryan College, TN (where Tom & I met) this weekend
Praises:
-I'm feeling better
-Friends & Family praying for me
-Dad's knee staples out
-Brother, Mike UPS job in Youngstown
-gifts of encouragement
Thank You, Jill Jones
Thank You, Tracey Albert & family...treatment day treats!
Thank You, Nancy Green...treatment day meal!
Thank You, Jennifer Deskins
Thank You, Lori Snedecor!
Thank You, Lori, Tracie, Lisa & Mary...25 Gifts til Christmas!
You girls are incredible...I am more than blessed!
Sunday FEAST from:
Lori Snedecor, Lisa Raikes, Tracie Romanelli, & Mary Peterman!
Thank You, Mary Peterman...p.s. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Thank You, Betsy Berlin...this is awesome...so sweet!
Thank You, LaMonte Family!
Thank You, Missy Goss Bryan (& family) for the gift cards!  Awesome!!
Thank You, Ginny Englehart...Oreo Truffles, Doctor Appointment "drama",
all day infusion...priceless!
I owe you (& Tom...BIG TIME!)
Thank you to Doug & Carylee Meyers for continuously being here for me...you will never know how much I appreciate you going to Matt's game & supporting us through "it all"!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Oh Lisa, how my heart aches for you!!! You are SO not a brat---in fact your determination to choose God's plan is the opposite of a self-indulgent child! You are such an example of God's grace, even in times when you don't feel like you are. Be assured of our prayers for you all. (By the way I LOVE that quilt!!)
Joy (and Truitt)