Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

Yesterday I spent a good portion of my day composing the perfect tribute to honor my mom on her special day.  Today I logged onto my computer to post the special tribute only to find that it was gone!  I'm sure it is floating around in cyberspace somewhere and now I am writing from recall and I pray my recall will capture the heart I put into it yesterday.  Maybe this process of what we are going through is teaching me something...I don't get "worked up" like I used to over the small stuff.
Anyway...Happy Birthday to my amazing mom.  She is my role model and the reason why I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.  When I reached the final year of high school people would ask me what I wanted to do, I would reply "be a wife and mother".  When I decided on Bryan College and declared "business" as my major, no one knew I meant "wife and mom business"!!  God did know and provided me with an incredible husband, and no degree, so I could start my real degree of being who God created me to be!  My mom modeled what I wanted.  I remember mom reading me Bible stories and making church a priority, which set my feet on a foundation that wouldn't mean much until I turned my heart and life over to Jesus when I was eighteen.  Thank you mom for leading and guiding me in the "way I should go" and always keeping what's important first.  Her servants heart is so big.  She is always helping and serving others.  If you have the pleasure of knowing my mom, you know what I mean.
Facts about my mom:
she is the second of four children
(I love hearing her childhood stories, especially of her big brother, Bob!)
she twirled a baton
she played the trumpet
she married at nineteen
(not because she had to, but because that's what you did back then!)
she had three children by the age 24
(with only two maternity outfits!)
she is a beautician
(but never went to beauty school)
she is a decorator
she paints
she wallpapers
she stencils
(but doesn't have a degree in interior design)
she is an artist
(but never went to art school)
she is a seamstress
she is a quilter
she is an upholsterer
(she learns by doing)
she can crochet
she can knit
she is a gardener
(she learns in her garden and listens to God)
she always told me..."there is no place closer to God than in a garden"...
(I guess I didn't want to be close to God when I was a child and had to weed!)
my mom taught me what a joy it is working in the dirt and hearing God
she taught me to swim
she taught me the importance of neatness
she taught me cleanliness
(if your house is "picked up" it will look clean to others!)
she taught me how to be thrifty
she taught me the importance of heirlooms
(things are special because of who they belonged to)
she taught me how to find sharks teeth
she taught me the fine art of searching...for something special
I found Tom
(or he found me!)
I found Jesus
(He really found me!)
Thank you mom for teaching me what's important
I love you!

"Let your father and your mother be glad, And let her rejoice who gave birth to you."
Proverbs 23:25

1 comment:

Barb said...

What a beautiful tribute to your lovely mother, Lisa. I will always remember meeting her at Donatos after Grandparents' Day many years ago. I remember thinking how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. She is a lovely, gracious woman and you are such a beautiful reflection of her.