Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Monday, September 26, 2011

Wedding Weekend

What a fun day we had on Friday preparing for Travis & Emily's big day.  It was so good to have Zac & Sarah here.  While Tom worked his regular day, Zac worked on his seminary paper (well, kind of!) and enjoyed a trip to Starbucks.  We girls headed to the church to help with the preparations there.  I am so thankful to have had the whole day with Sarah.  I am also thankful for the closeness of our family which enables me to be involved with the fun details of decorating and helping on such special occasions.  After setting up and decorating at the church, Sarah wanted to bless me with a special birthday gift...we went and had our nails done!  My mom and sister joined us and even Emily (bride) went too.  Emily had already had her nails done, but wanted to be a part of the girl time so she came chatted and laughed with us.  What a fun time together.  After our nails were done we went to my sister's for lunch together then on to the reception site to decorate and prepare there.  When all was done we went back home to get ready for the rehearsal dinner.  It was our privilege to serve the meal for the wedding party at the church.  My brother, Mike, sister-in-law, Cheryl, Tom and I love being able to serve and share kitchen duty together.


Kitchen Help
We did our best to keep Tom in that chair and off his feet so he wouldn't wear himself out.  He's a hard man to keep down!  He did enjoy quite a bit of City Barbecue that night...no pork, just chicken!
Saturday morning started with our normal Saturday big breakfast of fresh scrambled eggs and whole wheat blueberry pancakes.  It was a restful morning with a calm before the wedding.  Sarah and Granny went to the church early to get ready there while Tom, Dad and I relaxed and took it easy.  The guys, Zac, Dan, Nathan, Tim, Braden and Brady were out early on the golf course to get a round of competitive golf in before they had to be at the church!  What a fun morning they had together with "golf tales" to tell.  Matt and Katelyn arrived in time for lunch and then off to the ceremony we went.
Matt, Katelyn, Lisa & Tom
What a beautiful bride Emily made.  She lit the church up with her smile and a service that honored Christ as the head of their marriage.  Sarah made a beautiful bridesmaid along with her cousins and friend, Natalie.
Friend of the Bride, Natalie & Bride's Cousin, Sarah
Bride's Cousin, Lauren & Bride's Sister, Brittany (who is expecting in December!)
Bride's Sister, Aubrey & Maid of Honor, Sister of the Bride, Cassidy
Bride & Groom
Parents of the Bride
My sister, Kelly & her husband, Terry
Grandparents of the Bride
My parents, Lowell & Barbara Kline
My brother Mike & his wife, Cheryl
My Uncle Jim & Aunt Joanne
My Aunt Margaret, Cousin Randy & his wife, Brenda
Our niece, Brittany & her husband, Dan
Our niece, Aubrey & her husband, Nathan
Our daughter, Sarah & her husband, Zac
Our niece, Lauren & her husband, Tim
Our niece, Cassidy & her friend, Brady
Our niece, Erin & her friend, Andrew
Our nephews, Zac & Braden & our niece, Morgan
A beautiful cake made by my dear friend, Ulrike Brennan!

Many of you may be familiar with the song "It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to"....well, that was my day yesterday!  What an honor to be in church with the majority of my family surrounding me on my birthday.  Our new pastor, Mike Yoder, started a series on the book of John last Sunday.  Last week we studied Jesus' first miracle at the wedding in Cana.  This week he took us to the healing of the nobleman's son in Chapter 4.  Tom and I have both been so impressed with Pastor Yoder's ability to put the personal touch on each of his sermons.  He had interviewed Pastor Dan and Nancy Green who are the parents of Rachel Green who Jesus now cares for in heaven.  Rachel was 8 years old when she was diagnosed with cancer.  Dan, Nancy and their 4 children were missionaries in Brazil at that time.  Upon Rachel's diagnosis they immediately relocated their precious family to Columbus.  We had been long time friends and prayer partners with the Greens while they were serving in Brazil.  During the two years that Rachel battled cancer she and our daughter Sarah became quite close.  Not only did they enjoy Sunday School and SMM on Wednesday nights but they were in the same 5th grade class at Worthington Christian the year (1999) that Rachel went to her eternal home.  We had the privilege of having Rachel in our home many times and also enjoyed a memorable trip to Marmon Valley Farm together.
Teri & Emily Hotz, Rachel & Nancy Green, Sarah & Lisa Anglea
Marmon Valley Farm ~ September 1999
Pastor Yoder beautifully interjected scenes from their interview into his sermon titled "Desperate Cries For Life".  You can "click" on the link at right to hear/see the sermon and interview.  I was so thankful that Sarah could be there to see Rachel's parent's complete trust in God.  It was overwhelmingly hard for me with us being in our situation, however what an honor to watch Dan and Nancy live out their trust, faith and belief in a God Who is totally trustworthy even when He doesn't choose to heal.  I continue to be in awe of God who provides what I need exactly when I need it and surrounds me with loved ones at the same time!  Phil and Nancy Gegner were sitting behind us (we honored them last Sunday as they were one of the many couples married 50+ years) and during the sermon Phil sketched Tom and I!


Let's just say that the tears were flowing!
Rachel Green with our children, Sarah & Matt
Summer of 1999
One last detail...I was wearing purple on Sunday morning...I remember Rachel always saying she wished her name was Rachel Purple instead of Green because her favorite color was purple!
After church it is our family's tradition after a family "event" to go to "Windchimes" a local Chinese restaurant.  There were 23 of us gathered around a huge square table in the banquet room there.  What a fun time laughing and celebrating.  We ended up with two cakes to celebrate birthdays!  Kelly had brought the leftover cake from the reception and Mike & Cheryl had stopped to pick up a cake too!  One chocolate and one white...of course Tom wanted some of both after eating SWEET & sour chicken!!  Yes, he has a sweet tooth and on these special occasions he's taking advantage of getting all he can because he knows when he gets home there won't be any sweets.  After reading our fortune cookies and saying our good byes Tom and I had the privilege of taking mom and dad to meet up with their friends, Wyatt & Mary Brown, who they travelled with.  I can't help myself with crying and I know it rips them up but we will miss them greatly.  It was so special to have them here with us for two weeks.
Celebrating Cheryl, Aubrey, Lisa & Morgan's Birthdays
It's Monday now...the rain is falling in buckets and my heart is heavy.  The house is quiet, Sarah & Zac are back in Indiana, Matt & Katelyn are back at MVNU, Mom & Dad are travelling back to Florida and Tom is at work.  Is this what "normal" feels like?  I guess I like the "out-of-the-ordinary" life!

No comments: