Mama Lisa & Jacob

Mama Lisa & Jacob
Mama Lisa & Jacob Thomas

Friday, August 26, 2011

Update

Tuesday, August 23, school started.  We are so thankful that Tom is back in the swing of school life and hopefully 'holding down the fort' that holds his heart.  It seems to be a great start of another school year and we have so much to praise the Lord for regarding Tom and his ability to be back at the job he loves.  We are so appreciative to all the friends/staff who have come alongside of Tom to help him not only with tasks at work but with rides to and from school.  THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts for accommodating our needs.
First Day of School - Dave & Tom
Many people have been calling or texting with regards to Tom's doctor appointment yesterday.  We met with the surgeon, Dr. Zerick, and he thought Tom was doing great!  We talked about the possibility of lowering the dose of the anti-seizure medication and Dr. Zerick was all for it!!  Tom will now start taking just one a day instead of two.  We will try this for a time and then possibly go to every other day.  We will not totally wean him off like last time but we think this will be a huge help with the "sluggishness" Tom has.  The doctor will like to see Tom back in October after his next MRI.  He shared with us some very hard things too...such as "you know this type of cancer is going to come back, it's just a matter of time".  Tom and I both shared that "only if it's the Lord's will".  We know what the medical experts and books say...bleak and grim are the common words used, however we know the Great Physician and we are totally trusting Tom and his GBM to Him and Him alone.  We take the words of doctors and medical journals with "a grain of salt." 
Projects loom over me here at the house.  So many things I want to get done before Matt leaves on Saturday so that he can help me with the lifting and moving.  I took on the garage Monday as my "project".  Since March things have come to a halt and the garage was a mess.  I literally removed everything, cleaned, pitched and reassembled much to Tom's surprise when Tim Kraynak brought him home that day.  If you want to put a smile on Tom's face there are three things you can do:  1) feed him, 2) wash his car and 3) clean the garage!  He had quite the smile and I was quite satisfied, but very tired too.  I was too embarrassed to take a "before" pic and even after it was clean because I know some of you and have been in your garages to know ours still wouldn't "pass the test" (Mike :).  I still have many more projects and I'm not sure if you ever run out of projects because by the time you cross off your list of "to do" the first one needs re-done!
Yesterday I took on a painting project.  When I was 2 years old my parents moved me into a "big blue bed"...my iron bed from childhood.  It was moved into our basement for Zac and Sarah one day.  Since my parents will be coming to stay with us September 10-25th I needed two guest beds.  So I asked my mom if I could paint my blue bed and she responded, "it's been blue since you were two!"  Now I'm not sure that was an answer...am I violating her sentimentality with paint?  I've never been too sentimental so I painted!  We will now have two guest bedrooms (three with Matt gone) so please come and visit!
Blue Becoming Off-White
Notice the paint drop cloths?  Those were Tom's sheets from his college days!!
Please pray for us as we decide if Tom will go with Matt and I to MVNU on Saturday.  I know there's not much Tom can do to help with the move in, but I selfishly just want him there.  He has always been with me on these move-in days.  It will be a long drive home alone for me if he decides not to go.  I can say that Matt has been my "right hand man" during this summer and I'm going to miss him more this year than I thought possible.  I'm tearing up as I type.  He brings joy, laughter, and life to our house.  Not to mention he is our lawn care, garbage man, and even helps with the laundry!  Our house will become very quiet again.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Lisa, I sure do understand about your feelings with Matt's return to MVNU. I will be praying for all of you. So glad to hear that Tom will be able to reduce the anti-seizure meds & that will surely help with a little more energy. And so glad that Tom is back at school doing what he loves to do and I'm sure the staff is so thankful to have him there also. We are continuing to pray and trust the Great Physician with you each day!